Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Jerk chicken techniques?

bigmikej
bigmikej Posts: 216
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a recipe for a jerk chicken marinade that looks great. I was wondering the best way to cook it on the egg? Spatchcock? V-rack? Direct or indirect? Smoke or no smoke? Temp? Approx. time?[p]Thanks for any suggestions!

Comments

• bigmikej,
    Jerk recipe please.
    Seth

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    bigmikej,
    Are talking a whole chicken or just breats?
    RhumAndJerk

• bigmikej
    RhumAndJerk,[p]Whole chicken.[p]Thanks!

• bigmikej
    Seth Howard,[p]Reprinted from Mr. Wise's recipe compilation:[p]Killer Jerk Marinade
    Posted by Turkey (Mark) on June 01, 2001
    Been making this for years and the BGE made it the best yet. Wife and kid are out of town this
    weekend so I'm making it the way I like it, HOT! You can do what you want with the peppers, the
    recipe my mom gave me just said 1 "hot" pepper.
    Ingredients:
    1 medium onion (quartered)
    2-3 jalapeño peppers (or other peppers)
    3 TBS Soy Sauce
    1 TBS Olive Oil
    1 TBS Vinegar
    3-4 TBS Spice Mix (below)
    Spice Mix Ingredients
    4 TBS Thyme (fresh or dried)
    2 TBS salt
    4 TBS Sugar
    2 TBS Allspice
    1 TBS ground cinnamon
    1 TBS ground nutmeg
    2 TBS ground black pepper
    Preparation:
    Take 3-4 TBS of the spice mix below (I use 4) and put in a food processor with onion (quartered),
    hot peppers, soy sauce, oil and vinegar. Pulse until everything is chopped fine but not liquefied.

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    bigmikej,
    Brine the chicken as you normally would. To the brine add some red pepper flakes and some whole Allspice. Make some of the sugar in the brine recipe brown sugar. I guess that I would brine it overnight.[p]Let the jerk marinadesit on the chicken overnight or 24 hours.
    Here is the part where you could do things many different ways. I guess that I would spatchcock the chicken and grill it directly. I would toss on some woodchips at the beginning of the cook. You will not get a heavy smoke flavor, but it will be noticeable. [p]Hope this helps,
    RhumAndJerk[p]