Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cold Weather Performance

SmokeDaddy
SmokeDaddy Posts: 1
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm considering buying a BGE, but I'm curious how they do in the cold weather. I live in CO, so we can get a couple of months of pretty cold weather and I've always heard ceramic goods will crack going from a standing cold temperature to hot. Anyone have any info on this?

Comments

• Just as good as they do when it is hot or mild. A few years ago on Super Bowl Sunday (colts-bears) I had it locked in at 260 dome for almost 10 hours and it didn't budge. Worked like a planned and it was -20 or 30 wind chill and below 0 reg temp.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    ive baked bread at 500 degrees well below zero while ice fishing, the ceramic heats up slow enough that there isnt a problem.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • aaind
    aaind Posts: 235
    Started ribs one day -17 worked just fine ,I want to do -25 somtime ( Just to say I didi it )
    Dave
  • mikeb6109
    mikeb6109 Posts: 2,067
    cooking in negative temps is a commun thing were i live!!
    015.jpg
    001-1.jpg
    006.jpg
    2007_12160020.jpg
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    The only real problem with using the Egg in the winter is that the cook has to go outside and brave the frigid temperatures. I've cooked with 3' of snow on the ground, at 12 degrees F. There are Canadian Eggers who have reported cooking in -40 wind chill. So, not to worry.

Oh, if you forget to cover it, cracking thru a covering of ice is no fun.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    SmokeDaddy,

Hopefully some of the folks up in the eastern borders and the Canadian's will show some of there pictures and we have our Alaska members.

You have a several folks, well more than several, out your way that have eggs.

I am in Salt Lake and I cooked at lest 3 and mostly 4 & 5 meals a week throughout this last winter. Coldest was -36° (no wind chill) and a good part of the time below and well below 0.

Works fine. Start up time is very close to summer months. Because it is so cold I would suggest you pick up a weed burner for lighting. I can have the egg up to 450° between 30 seconds 1.5 minutes. Egg cooking in about 5 to 10 minutes. Having the egg(s) is really great.

The egg really saves some money too as we don't eat out often. Food is just better on the egg.

GG
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    We are on the cost of Maine and our biggest problem is getting from the house to the eggs! We cook on them 6-7 times a week in the summer and 4-5 in the winter. the nights we might not is if hubby gets home late and I don't feel like shoveling to get to them :)
  • Grandpas Grub
    That is the only thing I don't like in the winter... shoveling to get to the egg.

Can't believe we are talking winter already. First I've got to get the garden to finish up and the pumpkins. I might have to buy some pumpkins and JB Weld them to the vine. Told the grandkids I planted magic pumpkin seads. They alway's grow big pumpkins.

GG
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Hie thee to an Eggery!

Fear not the frosts of winter!

;)B):)
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Ok, sure you can cook on a BGE in -50 degrees in the snow, slow cook some mouth watering ribs. Maybe some chicken or a pork shoulder when the wind is howling and blowing in your ear. The BGE will cook anywhere at any time. That is not the issue here. The issue is why the hell would anyone want to live where the temps get below 60 degrees. :):):):)
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • aaind
    aaind Posts: 235
    It keeps out the rif raf :laugh:
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    Two pictures in reply...
    The weather as I started my egg...
    IMG_2125.jpg

and the temp after set up...
    IMG_2131.jpg

note the minus sign! BTW the 131 was the temp goal setting, not my wife's hot flash temp!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    And when the temp doesn't get below 60 degrees, the cockroaches are always 3" long -- and flying!

I'll take the cold --
  • Grandpas Grub
    No neck tie's and low humidity :laugh:

GG
  • bubba tim
    true, just ear muffs, scarfs, gloves, snow, ice, etc.
    True story: When I was MUCH younger, I was in the Army walking the fence of the DMZ in Korea. It was very cold. I know it was well below zero. I decided, just for the heck of it, to go number one on the metal fence on the South Korea side of the DMZ. Before I could get it back under wraps, a yellow icicle had formed. I promised myself that I would never live were it snowed. For the last 35 plus years, I have kept that promise.
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • bubba tim
    Hey, a guy has to have snakes! yum! :woohoo:
  • Grandpas Grub
    That's the snowmobilers code 'Don't eat the yellow snow'.

GG
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Mike,

You call that cold? That is girly man cold!

Steve

787775590110_0_ALB.jpg

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    RRP,

I hear you!

Imagine that temp at -40 celcius and all the windows open. :ohmy:

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    absolutely no issues.

overnight cooks pegged to 250 during a blizzard. i lit the thing with the graound bare and woke to 27 inches of snow. still pegged at 250.

as for the insulative qualities of the ceramic. check this. sure, it eventually melted, but do you think a metal cooker (gasser or otherwise) could hit 550 and still have snow on it? the only reason you can even read the temp is that i brushed off the snow.

brrrr_HOT.jpg

eggsinsnow.jpg
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • ArvadaMan
    ArvadaMan Posts: 260
    Living in Colorado and having had my BGEs for over four years, there has been no problem. I have cooked in snow storms on multiple occasions. The eggs handle cooking in below freezing temperatures easily.

Also, I assume you will be at the Colorado Eggfest next weekend?