Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rib Results -- The first try

Bama Fire
Bama Fire Posts: 267
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
It was the first, but it certainly won't be the last. I smoke 2 slabs of Baby Backs, direct, at 250 for around 3 hours. They were the second best ribs I've ever tasted. I know that I can do better![p]Here's one question: how do you make sure that the thick end of the ribs are fully cooked without over cooking the skinny end? That was my only problem -- the smaller ribs were crusty adn a bit dry, while the other end of the slab,the thicker larger ribs, were not dry and delicious. Maybe that's the price you pay for cooking ribs direct? Somehow I doubt it. Maybe the temp got away from me at the end of the cook and I had too many beers in my to notice or care.[p]This weekend will be either a BUTT or BRISKET -- likely the brisket, as I've never cooked on of those.[p]bama fire

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Bama Fire,
    When doing direct, I flip every 45 minutes or so. When flipping you can assess which area of the fire is the hottest, and place the fatter end in the hotter areas.

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Bama Fire,
    Get an oven thermometer if you aren't sure what the coolest part of the Egg is. Every fire is different but your Egg might have an area that is cooler than the rest. If so, put the thin ends there.[p]Also, I have had good success by jacking the temp up to 300F and cooking for about 1 hour 45 minutes. The thin ends are drier than the thick ones but I'm not sure you can completely get away from that.
    JimW

• Bama Fire
    JimW,
    Thanks -- I'll try the speedier cook in the future![p]B~F

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Bama Fire,[p]""Here's one question: how do you make sure that the thick end of the ribs are fully cooked without over cooking
    the skinny end? ""[p]
    Dang these tough questions, how to end world hunger, how to make world peace, how to elect a full republican majority, how to make a whole rack of ribs come out perfect? [p]Where are the easy questions?? You question is valid and a tough one. There are ways that are good in some ways and bad in others. I often cut them in two sections. Not in half but more like 3/4 and 1/4. The 1/4 is usually the end with the thick section. Two racks fit on the large Egg pretty well but when you go over 2 or have a med or small Egg you have to cut them sometimes to get them to fit. [p]Like NB says - rotate - you can flip them and spin the grid 1/3 or 1/2 a turn. [p]My first rack of ribs I did on the Egg were my worst - they were good and the one later were better -- they were great. Keep tring diffrent things until you hit your combination. [p]I gotta try them juniper berries.[p]Tim

• Kona Tim
    Kona Tim Posts: 35
    Bama Fire,
    Gerry

just two questions. Just what were the numer one best ribs you've ever had? I don't remember ever having you over! And if you do the brisket this weekend, how you gonna juice it up?[p]Kona Tim
  • McKevin
    McKevin Posts: 47
    Bama Fire,[p]"Here's one question: how do you make sure that the thick end of the ribs are fully cooked without over cooking the skinny end?"[p]I ALWAYS do babybacks indirect & coiled. I'm rigged with a pizza stone on the grill, on that is a deep dish "Chicago Style" pizza pan, foil lined with a grate on it. After mustard/rub, or however you prep, roll each rack into a loose coil holding it together with a bamboo skewer *with the small end inside the large one*. The small end thus gains a small amount (enough) protection from the heat to finish up just fine with the rest of the rack...
    Offered FWIW, but it's been working for me for several years now.[p]Kevin

• ,,how do you make sure that the thick end of the ribs are fully cooked without over cooking the skinny end?[p]I got it! Cut each slab in half like I do,, then after turning them the first time, put the thin halves in the coolest area. You and I was on opposite sides of the street on our rib cooks. Mine were just under-done. I had to use the oven to finish them off because I had already committed my butt to the fire:)

• Bama Fire
    kona tim,
    the best ribs I ever had were in New York City of all places. I know, it sounds terrible, and as a true Alabamian, I hate to admit it. I don't even remember the name of the place, but these ribs were dry rubbed then smoked to perfection. I couldn't believe it. Hopefully, I'll be able to surpass them with the EGG. I'll give it my best shot![p]As for this weekend's feast, I decided on pulled pork rather than brisket. I just pulled the 6.5 pounder out of the freezer. Tonight, I'll rub it with mustard than coat it JJ's rub and let it sit in the refrigerator until Friday afternoon. I'll smoke it over a beer and water filled drip pan using hickory and mesquite woods. I can hardly wait for Saturday afternoon after I've fulfilled the day's yard duties and can settle in with several beers, some delicious BBQ, and watch some hoops.[p]What do you have planned for this weekend in Paradise?[p]Bama Fire

• Bama Fire
    mckevin,
    That sounds like a great solution! I'll give it a smoke the next time a EGG some slabs. Thanks![p]Bama Fire