Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

low and slow crispy chicken wings

Options
fishlessman
fishlessman Posts: 32,741
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
this method works beat for thighs as the wings do dry out a little, but its all about the skin with these for me.
DSC_0158.jpg
i start out with very little lump as i want to maximize distance between the grill and the fire. this doesnt look like enough but for a direct cook its plenty, infact this is all the lump i use for a direct rib cook that will last 7 hours, you use alot less lump with direct cooks.
DSC_0159.jpg
get the grate raised however you do it, the higher the better
wings were seasoned and then put in the fridge for a few hours
DSC_0161.jpg
i leave the daisy open more on thighs and wings to help with the moisture problem of the egg
DSC_0163.jpg
flipped them at an hour, then skinside up again after an hour and forty five, then finished cooking til they looked crunchy, 250 degrees, this cook went 2 hours and 15 minutes but i dont cook by times anyways.
DSC_0169.jpg
maybe not what everyones looking for, but this is how i like them, crispy skin, slightly dry and not greasy.
fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it

Comments

• Herm
    Herm Posts: 206
    Options
    Looks great to me. That's how I like them too. A little dip in some blue cheese moistens up the meat just fine. Those are beautiful.
  • aaind
    aaind Posts: 235
    Options
    Thanks I am going to try this ,I dont like baked chicken ,like it just like that
    The higher the better ,I have a wing rack from wally world ,would that help?
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    I'll echo the desire for crispy wings with a crunch! Was it 250° all along? I just ordered some John Henry Pecan Rub and I'm wondering if it will work on chicken, etc... Thanks for the tongue-teasing pictures! My taste buds are on a rampage!! 8 - )~~~
  • fishlessman
    Options
    250 to 275, it changed a little when i thought to open the dome more. some would be horrified to know i let the internal temp pass the 200 mark which is why thighs cooked like this come out even better, more grease
    fukahwee maine

• Stanley
    Stanley Posts: 623
    Options
    I like your idea of opening the DFMT and controlling with the draft door - I've long suspected that my nemesis in achieving crispy skin is the moisture level. I'll have to try this. Thanks.
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options
    I've done the DP method the last couple of times, but want to back off the cornmeal. These look great; next I'll try the direct method you used.
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • Essex County
    Options
    Don't know if most folks noticed but I did. You must be the only guy cooking without one. Or is there one on the lid?
    Paul
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    fishlessman,

Very nice details of the cook. You should bookmark this page to help the folks with future questions about wings.

Nice pictures and the chicken looks great. Thank you very much.

GG
  • Stanley
    Stanley Posts: 623
    Options
    There was a thread a week or so ago in which several Eggers came out of the closet and admitted to gasketless cooking.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    no gasket on the lid either. why would i want one. they just burn off, stick together, char into pieces, cause people panic attacts, i can do without all that. the egg leaks smoke, so what
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Options
    i actually thought someone might point out the well maintained daisy
    fukahwee maine

• Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    Well...

I "waaaas" going to give you a pass...but you really should be flogged!!

LOL!!!

Nice wings...btw!!!

Evans
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    They do look good man.We might have to start a wire brush fund for you and the daisy top.Just kidding. Here is the way I get things as high as you can go.Standard raised grid with four inch bolts then a thirteen and half inch grid with four and a half inch bolts.This will give you a nine inch lift into the dome.I do not think you can go any higher.

spatchcockchicken061.jpg
  • Chubby
    Options
    First...

I think lots of folks don't "get" the benefits of cooking higher in the dome!

The closer proximity of the chicken's skin,(in this case)
    to the cookers radiated heat from the dome, does wonders for many many cooks!

I cook Pizzas (for instance) as high in the dome as I can get them.

No burnt gaskets... and no rubbery/soggy Pies for me!!

Second..

Please elaborate on your "thigh" comment!

Thanks Mr. Fish!!

Evans
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • fishlessman
    Options
    the thighs handle the higher internal temps better than the wings before drying out. most of my cooks are setup like this, small amount of lump raised grill, i cook ribs this way, roasts, duck etc with this setup all direct. my 1100 degree pizza cooks are also close to the dome, any lower and the crust burns before the top chars.
    fukahwee maine

• JimBeam
    JimBeam Posts: 22
    Options
    fishlessman wrote:
    i leave the daisy open more on thighs and wings to help with the moisture problem of the egg

What moisture problem?
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Fishlessman,

I like it. It's kind of a rust-ic look. B)

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    Well put togeather Fish. ;) Got a can of black spray paint and a tube of Form A Gasket. Where do I send it! :P
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Thanks Fishless- this is like a documentary on what I was recently asking about!

No way I would've thought of cooking with so little lump!
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    those look dang good....
    Is that used lump? T
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    mostly used with a couple pieces pulled out of the bag.
    fukahwee maine

• Essex County
    Options
    I think we are being polite regarding your daisy wheel. As for the gasket, I am still working with the original gasket on my 5 year old LBGE. Or the crumbly, black remnants of it. Yeah, it leaks but like yours, it holds temp fine.
    Paul
  • fishlessman
    Options
    a weed burner is a big plus to lighting this for a nice even burn, if you dont have one try making a pyramid with the lump and get it going until you reach 300 degrees, then flatten it out and the temps will drop down. make sure the pieces are still touching each other
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Options
    i actually had the lower section on this egg crack and when i got the replacement i took the gasket off with a heatgun without ever using it. it came off nice and clean about 5 years ago. tried a sticky back rutland last year and it didnt hold up so im back to no gasket. i think your right, everyones being kind, thats one grungy looking egg. look at the inside, look at the grill, who would eat off that thing
    fukahwee maine

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    August 8, 2008

Dear Mr. Chubby:

I will be traveling through Houston this weekend. Actually very close to your location. I'm stopping to see a new baby in the family.

The purpose for my inquiry is to see if your Gratemates World Headquarters is open weekends. I am most interested in the Human Resources Department. My inquiry is for a top level position, salaried naturally and full benefits.

My experience is limited which makes me an ideal addition to your every growing organization. I prefer a position with limited responsibilities, few hours and, off course, a key to the executive washroom.

Pleae feel free to call me on my cell, if you are open this weekend.

Sincerely.

Tom Vogds
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • AZ Traveler
    Options
    That is the way we enjoy them. It is the perfect way to cook them. Thanks for the post.
  • Chubby
    Options
    TJV said:
    "My experience is limited which makes me an ideal addition to your every growing organization. I prefer a position with limited responsibilities, few hours and, off course, a key to the executive washroom".

Please tell me I'm not getting fired....cause that sounds suspiciously like my position here at GrateMates World Headquarters!!

Can you confirm the salary (if there is one) offered?

LMAO!!!

Evans

PS...
    I'd love to have you
    visit the complex...call me later this afternoon!!
  • NJ-Professor
    Options
    Thanks for taking the time to attached photos.....That's E-X-A-C-T-L-Y what I'm looking for.......