Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT Brick BBQ Pits

Pharmeggist
Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi Eggheads,
I noticed someone has a Brick BBQ pit in their backyard. This made me think back to my Grand-dad he had one in his backyard. He passed away a few years ago. I never once saw him use it. I guess it was there when he bought the home that him and my Grandmother moved there. I was curious why these pits aren't seen much anymore... although I see them occasionally in peoples backyard. Just curious?
Personally I would buy another egg ;)
~Pharmeggist

Comments

• deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    we had one at my teenage year home and my dad used it all the time, especially during the summer.

he also had some electric type smoker that he used all the time.

i enjoyed those times.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    ive got one made out of cynderblocks up at camp, we use it several times a year but mostly just for big bonfires. pretty much everyone has one up there and they all use them, nice for late night get togethers, kids cooking marshmellows, something good about burning fires, bet people used to do that more before cable tv.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    That is how I grew up doing BBQ. I actually had designed one I was going to build and that led to my discovery of the BGE several years ago.

Sure am glad I chose an egg over the pit. The egg can move when you sell your house!
  • Pharmeggist
    That is a pretty cool brick bbq pit but I wouldn't give up any of my eggs for one :silly: Ok maybe the mini but I could always buy another one later right :whistle:
    ~Pharmeggist
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    this one was made by grillgirl on the pr.. pri... primo forum. this ones spectacular
    http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/intheberkshires/DSC_5398.jpg
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Pharmeggist
    How much did you have to tend one to do an overnight cook like a boston butt??? Just curious.
  • Pharmeggist
    WOW,
    How many eggs could you have bought to cover the price of that one :silly: It was pretty over the top.
  • Pharmeggist
    So what is the catch with one,
    Are they labor intensive to cook with? Just curoius how they stack up with the cooking ability of the egg. I can imagine doing an overnight cook would entail staing up with it to keep the fire going. Is that why you decided on getting an egg.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    All night long.

Seriously, we used to burn oak and hickory in a barrel, then when the pit needed more heat to bring the temp up we would bang the barrel to get coals to drop and then shovel the coals from the bottom of the fire barrel and into the pit.

It regulates temps well, but we had to add coals roughly once an hour, but we also had to keep the fire barrel going. It took a pretty good stack of wood to do a long cook.

I have many fond memories of cooking with my Grandpa. He would spit Copenhagen and I would crush up Oreos and stick them between my cheek and gum to be just like him. I was probably 4 or 5 the first time I remember this.
  • Pharmeggist
    Good Memories,
    Thanks for sharing the story... having children now myself makes you want to spend as much time with them as possible. Hopefully, I will have Junior eggers to look forward to. Andrew who is one is in his baby swing and I am cooking Knockwursts on the mini egg. In a few years I will let him be my assistant.

Happy Egging, Pharmeggist
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Back in a former life, I was a summer camp counselor. One day, the camp owner showed me a cheap-o metal grid, about 2' x 4', and two pieces of 1/4" steel.

"Build a pit," he said, "using those cement blocks. One block deep all around, lined with sand."

OK... I got the shovel, and in maybe fifteen minutes I had built a pit. He pointed to the cherry fire-wood. "Big fire, even coals throughout the pit. Try to have it ready in about an hour."

OK -- built the fire, got a heavy bed of coals well dispersed within the pit.

Then the camp cook came out with freshly soaked, unhusked sweet corn. She had me put the metal grid over the cement-block, then cover it with the 1/4" steel.

After another half hour of getting very hot, she quickly tossed old burlap sacks over the metal, stacked the corn up high, covered the corn again with layers of burlap, then tossed water over the whole thing.

The excess water drained outside the pit and the water hit that very hot metal -- steam sizzled and roared.

Best corn I ever ate!

~ B