Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

wet lump?

eggineric
eggineric Posts: 81
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I ran out of wgc weekend warrior the other day and went to my local dealer and bought a new bag. He had to go to the basement to get it and said he has to keep things on pallets down there so they don't get wet. The first thing I cooked was boneless skinless chicken boobs. They turned out good, but had a black residue all over. The next night I made a cheesbread and a pizza (425 on stone and platesetter). The pizza turned out black like the chicken. I was just wondering if this could be wet lump. When I put the pizza on, the charcoal was probably burning for 45 to 60 mins. Any feedback would be great. Otherwise love the egg, need to post some pics.

Thanks

Eric

Comments

• Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Do not know what made the black residue.That is the first time I have heard of that.If the lump sparked a lot when you lit it that could be a clue to some lump that comes out of South America.I do not think that the lump was wet or excessively damp because you would not have reached a 425 degree cooking temperature in the normal time.Wet lump will last forever.Just let it dry out.
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    I've noticed the same thing with another brand. Seems like a lot of small dust gets kicked up while cooking. In my case it dissapated. Hopefully yours will too.
  • I use an electric starter to light the charcoal. Works great until you run out of ww and use a different brand that lights a lot quicker and you leave the lighter in there for the same amount of time. After ten minutes I checked the egg, it was 600 deg and my lighter was done. Anyways I hope it goes away also. Thanks.
  • thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    I used Cowboy when I was cooking with my tagine and when I opened the lid the entire tagine was covered in dust. It is the only time that has happened. I tossed the rest of the cowboy and have not had the problem since. I would suspect the type of wood more than the moisture content.
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241