Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

cookin jerky today

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Got my first jerky going early this morning. Marinated it over night in dales, soy, worstershire, garlic, black pepper, red pepper flakes. I have tried a few times last few days to do a search for "jerky" on the forum with no success. I know I've seen jerky mentioned before. Am I doing something wrong? Let me rephrase, what am I doing wrong?[p]I'm a bit concerned about it cooking too fast. It's indirect, about 200 degrees. Been going 4 hours and some of it is already getting a bit dry. How do I know when it's ready? If I use the vacuum sealer, will it need to be refrigerated? How long will it last?
Thanks, Wade

Comments

• Zip
    Zip Posts: 372
    Options
    Wade,[p]It's ready when it's dry or to your liking. As far as vacuum sealing goes, it is not a sub for keeping in the fridge. IF you use a cure, like Tender Quick with nitrate/nitrite in it I would say vacumm it down, if not keep it in the fridge. As far as searching the site for posts, this is what Google came up with for Jerky . To search Google for stuff on this site and others here is a post I made over at Ray's place on how to do this onGoogle . Sub bigreenegg.com for the rbjb.com and it will do the trick.[p]HTH!
    Ashley[p]

• Thanks for the tips guys. Nope. No tender quick this time. Got it on my shopping list for my already planned next round though. I am more than aware of conducting a Google search. Sorry I didn't explain myself. I was attempting do a search at the bottom of the BGE forum page, and received the message; "No matches were found for '(jerky or jerkiness or jerkier)'".[p]Comments on my cook:
    After approx 6 hours the jerky was plenty dry. Really too dry. So I took it off. I think I cut it too thin. I'm guessing it's about an eighth thick. I asked the meat guy at Winn Dixie to cut it 1/4" thick, but I ended up with much thinner peices. Also, it's saltier than I'm used to. I would guess that if the only change next time is a thicker cut, maybe it will be less salty??
    Also, next time I'd like to vacuum seal it and not refrigerate. If any of you have experience with this, I'd appreciate it.[p]As always, thanks for the help![p]Wade

• McKevin
    Options
    Wade,[p]Everything you should ever need to know about jerky is
    [ul][li]here[/ul]