Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

More Testing

Grandpas Grub
Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
While I am waiting for a gasket and some parts for my medium I have kept on with testing.

My ribs in the past have been good, in my opinion, and have been as good and better than the q' shops here.

However, I have not been able to reach the long cook times reported here on the forum for ribs.

I have a very hard time knowing when the ribs are done as you can see below by the piece that is missing.

These were done direct raised, 225°. Mustard and Cow Lick - no mop, saucing or misting.

I tasted these about 2 1/2 hrs into the cook and they were not very good. They tasted done but dry and ok flavor.

I was going to pull & toss or use the meat in something else, but decided to wait a little longer. Not really caring I didn't look at them for another hour. Took another taste and pulled.

I have no idea why or how, but the extra hour seemed to moisten them up and impart more flavor.

Very good tasting, probably one of the best rib cooks I have done.

All I can say is, I still don't have ribs down.

ribs1.jpg

ribs2.jpg

GG

Comments

• bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Hi Kent,
    Why direct? I like the temp at 225 and the mustard and rub that you did. But I got to tell you, Bubba do ribs!
    Those look like Babby Bs, you can't rush ribs. 220ish and low and slow. Did you pull the membrane off? ps
    got your email and responded. @ $169.00 I just had to. It is better to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission. bubba-izm
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • Herm
    Herm Posts: 206
    I think you need to go longer. The funny thing with bbq is when you think it's done too much, cook it longer, and you will be amazed.
    I like to take my tongs and grab the rack on one end. When the ribs fold over and look like they are just about to break apart, they're done.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    in general, collagen breaking down is what makes barbecue moist again from continuing to cook it after it has already been cooked til tough and dry.

when you overcook a pork tenderloin, you won't find a lot of collagen and connective tissue, so it gets tougher and drier. when you "overcook" ribs and butts, say to 160, you ALSO get dry and tough meat. cook it a little longer (slowly) and the collagen binding the fibers together (making it tough and squeezing out moisture) dissolves. it no longer can hold the fibers together, which makes the meat tender. it also becomes literally jell-o, and re-moistens the meat.

if you cooked ribs to 145 only, like you might cook a pork tenderloin, you'd still have the moisture in the meat, but the collagen would be there (unconverted) and that's make it tough.

make any sense?

my best ribs have been the nine-hour spares (at 250) which i "accidentally" cooked overnight with a butt, and the last few slabs where i just decided to go 7 hours or so at 250, no foiling or anything.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike
    ...what's with the photocredit? afraid someone is gonna use yer pics for a "Men of the BGE" calendar and not give you any ca$h for it?

here's my homage to the "copyright" wars-slash-hissyfit that blew up here last year or so.

rotdog.jpg
  • Grandpas Grub
    Bubba Tim,

That is great news. I am sure you will love the mini. I am excited to hear your thoughs once you get it and are able to cook some.

Yes, these were baby backs. Membrane was off and mustard both sides as well as seasoning put on medium heavy.

These were cut in half by the store but there was no bend I thought that was due to the shortness. I noticed the meat pull back and guessed that was the indicator it they were done.

Any rib instruction is always appreciated.

Kent
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Kent listen to Stike, he is 100% spot on. I would also add do not add smoke after 3 to 4 hours. Too much smoke will turn the meat bitter. You could also go indrect for most of the cook then go direct in the last 30 min providing you do NOT use a finishing sauce.
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    you might want to try the carwash mike methoud here is a slide show and the recepie:::

th_101_0369.jpg

Pork, Baby Back, Car Wash Mike

As done at 2006 Eggtoberfest! Let me start by saying that this technique is not new or original. There are many like it, so don't think I have this special process.I also cook over 100 slabs of baby backs a year for friends, family and myself. It takes time and patience. Don't give up. I truly baby, my baby backs.

Ingredients
    baby backs
    Dizzy Dust Original
    Cherry or Apple Wood Chunks
    apple juice
    apple cider vinegar (blended with water for 5% acidity)

Procedure
    1 I use baby backs exclusively.
    2 Remove the membrane, rub bone side with Dizzy Dust Original.
    3 Turn the ribs over, apply mustard, rubbing it in, then apply Dizzy Pig Original covering every part of the ribs. I don't rub in.
    4 I like the ribs to set in a covered dish in the fridge for 4-5 hours before cooking.
    5 Get the egg up to 275. Put the Plate Setter in with Cherry or Apple Wood Chunks. About 3 nice size ones. Near the middle of the fire where they can start smoking but not all at once.
    6 Use a large drip pan inside the Plate Setter with foil. The pan I use had the corners bent in to fit.
    7 The egg will drop in temp. That is okay. Open both vents. Get egg stabilized at 215-225. I like to spritz with 50/50 apple juice - apple cider vinegar (blended with water for 5% acidity) every hour or 45 minutes. Lightly.
    8 Make sure no ribs are hanging over the plate setter. I cut them off and put them on top of the rib rack. These smaller pieces will cook quicker and give you a chance to sample what you are cooking.
    9 I rotate ribs to make sure they are cooking evenly and always make sure there is plenty of air flow between each slab.
    10 After 3 ½ hours if the temp is not up to 275 go ahead and open the vents a little.
    11 After 4 ½ hours start really paying attention not to over cook. I hold a slab in my hands, if it folds in half easily they are ready to sauce.
    12 I pull off all the ribs. Coat with Blues Hog (make sure it has been refridgerated). Put the ribs back on bone side down so the sauce can stick to the ribs. Leave on for 20+/- minutes. Pull off, slice and enjoy.

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Meat

Cooking Tips
    That would be correct Terry. I really start with a dome temp of 210-225. After 3 hours bump up to 250. The last 1/2 hour 275. Close vents, sauce and return. No they aren't complete. Just general ideas. When misting, the temp will eventually get to 250. Then 275. No I don't tell many people. The reason why, they will screw the last part up. It is look and feel. I have cooked so many ribs.

Recipe Source
    Author: CarWashMike (Mike McKernan)

Source: BGE Eggtoberfest '06, Car Wash Mike, 10/21/06

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Grandpas Grub
    Thanks Herm,

I tried to do the bend test and not even deflection. I looked at the meat pull back and thought they were done.

I will try try to do the bend test and see what happens.

Kent
  • Grandpas Grub
    Oh, that's a nasty picture... big smile. I never did notice the © in your aaaa.... aaaaa.... hmmm.... picture.

I saw Rick was putting his name in his and I was hoping doing the same would make my pictures look better.

Kent
  • Grandpas Grub
    Stike,

I understand exactly what you are saying. I need cook some and force myself to hold off pulling until I get to the bend state. I am always scared it will end up like your picture below.

Kent
  • Grandpas Grub
    BubbaTim,

I had no reason to cook direct. I use the adjustable rig and the lump just below the fire ring so there is quite a bit of distance between the lump and meat.

I will try doing indirect. I was home alone last night so I ate the entire rack. It was good though.

Kent
  • stike
    it becomes necessary to do it on the forum because so many of us have had their images stolen and used on knock-off "Trapper Keeper" binders that are coming out of china on the counterfeit goods market.

Hilton_FakeShirtcopyrighted.jpg
  • Grandpas Grub
    Thanks Bente. I have been trying to stay away from foiling for no reason really.

I will have to follow this and give it a try (test).

I appreciate you posting the slide show.

Kent
  • I've cook ribs lots of times and always use the tips and techniques from the
    Amazing Ribs web site. I have been pleased :) with the end result each time.
    Hope it will be a help to all.

http://www.amazingribs.com/
  • BENTE
    well there is no foiling in the CWM methoud.. and the ribs turn out superb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    did you flip them or keep bone side down during the complete cook, good looking too. t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Grandpas Grub
    I saw that picture last year and wondered if the 'I like stike' was photoshoped on the sweat shirt.

I understand the reasoning though.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Thanks, looks like I meed to spend some time there.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    For some reason I thought Mike used foil... when I quickly went throught he slide show there wasn't any foiling. I think it was the rib class notes on thirdeye's site.

I got something mixe up in that hollow space on top of my neck.

Kent
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Stike, I am sorry but if ANYONE stole that pic then they have problems! :( That is just plain nasty! :pinch:
  • Grandpas Grub
    Bone down the entire cook, I don't rotate the grid either.

With the lump down below the fire ring and the top of the adjustable rig I didn't think it would be necessary to turn or rotate.

Maybe I am getting too lazy with this.

BTW, thanks for the news letter and the notice of the upcoming site name change.

Kent
  • BENTE
    my "hollow space" is large also :lol:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Never thought Cowlick would work. But they do look good. I just stay with my same old boring ribs. I might try something different one of these days.
    ribs2.jpg

Mike
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    No foiling there either. I have foiled a couple times for comps. But on a day by day basis, nope.

Mike
  • Grandpas Grub
    "Same old boring ribs". You kill me. :laugh:

Kent
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    I went to the website amazingribs.com recommended by Happy Hog. I couldn't stop laughing when I saw the photo of the grocercy cart centered over the open wood fire with a slab of ribs cooking away in the center of the metal cart. Absolutely ingenious and hysterical.

eenie meenie
  • I love foiling myself. I foil everything.

Usually I smoke ribs at 300-350° for 2 hours. Foil them another 2 hours or more. Platesetter up, pan of applejuice under rack. I poke knife holes in the membrane, but never remove it. Brown with BBQ sauce for 15 minutes.
  • ewillie
    ewillie Posts: 155
    They're making me hungry! Looks great, I need to try a couple of racks.