Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I cooked some'en: Egged goodness sushi

Options
JLOCKHART29
JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well got my new Hattori knife in today so why not something Japanese? :woohoo:

A little shrimp and tuna on the Egg to get some good smoke flavor with a lot of presimmon wood. Not really cook'en the fish as you can see just imparting the flavor. ;)
1stsjune090-1.jpg

Off the Egg and cut up for filling.
1stsjune091-1.jpg
1stsjune093-1.jpg

Some fresh ginger and ready to roll.
1stsjune097.jpg
1stsjune094-1.jpg

Ready to eat. Got graveyards next two so hope every one has a good one!
1stsjune099-1.jpg

Comments

• deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    Options
    awesome.

i wish i could make sushi.

the rice is what would get me every time.
  • bitslammer
    bitslammer Posts: 818
    Options
    deepsouth wrote:
    awesome.

i wish i could make sushi.

the rice is what would get me every time.

Wow that looks reeeeaaalllll good. :P

The trick with the rice is to make sure you get short grain sushi rice, wash it well, and splash the mirin on it before cooling. Mirin is really just sugared vinegar but it seems to help get the right amount "stick" to the rice.

Good sushi rice sticks together but melts apart on your tongue.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    That really looks good, what are you doing to the ginger, pickling it? -RP
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    that looks great....where's the sake??
    how do you like the knife??? it is a thing of beauty.
    sreamin sharp out of the box???
    bill
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Never have been a raw fish fan (thought it was for bait :blink: ) but the wife is drooling over your pics. Thanks for the post now my wife wants me to uncook fish for her on the Egg :angry:. Just messing with you JL that looks great and not kidding about the wife's comments. Nice job.
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Options
    Great looking knife. I would not use that cutting board. You need something with end grain wood. Trust me on this one.
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    i met this guy
    at unconundrums knife gathering and bought the one that i use for the background in my pics. it is a quality thing that will be passed down to my kids.

brandingiron008.jpg

minisausage002.jpg
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Options
    Hey Bill, now that IS a cutting board! Being that the "little chef" uses very high end Japanese knifes in her job, I have had to learn and aquire the tools, to sharpen her knifes. check out http://www.japanesechefsknife.com
    very good company, direct from japan and you will not belive how inexpensive they are.
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    been there have not bought yet drool on the keyboard a lot ... have a shun a few other less expensive just got a some videos and sharpening supplies .. the latest addiction is 'i will learn how to sharpen japanese steel propper'
    dave recently registered here and is a friend of unconundrum who is very knowledgeable about japanese knives among many other things.
    i have links and stuff it you want to share resources
    bill
  • JLOCKHART29
    Options
    Got to get short grain sushi rice. One cup rice washed till water is clear 1 1/4 cup h2o. Bring to boil then simmer low for 25 min. Remove then and blend in your rice vinigar. Wet hands when adding to seaweed paper. Just looks hard.
  • JLOCKHART29
    Options
    Yep fresh ginger sliced thin boiled low in equal parts vinigar,h20 and sugar till tender. Can add or reduce sugar for taste.
  • JLOCKHART29
    Options
    At work now and fixing to get it. Floor job tonight and 30k of product to bag in 55 lb bags by hand tonight. Going to need more than saki in the morning. Can you say 100% blue agava! ;) The knife is great. So nice to be able to draw slices of tuna thin instead of sawing! :laugh: Send those links when you get a chance. It wan't stay sharp for ever. :(
  • JLOCKHART29
    Options
    Thanks! Yea I know about the board. Got to get me a real one. bill is like a drug dealer. He just keeps getting all the neat new things to play with and hooks me into them as well. Only problem is I'm not rich!! :laugh:
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    Very nice maiden voyage for the new knife, man! The sushi and sashimi look great!
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    JL,

Beautiful! Where is the wasabe? :evil:

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• WADoug
    WADoug Posts: 191
    Options
    Very impressive! Very creative! Very skilled! I would love to have that meal. Thanks.
    Doug
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Very Nice! I personally love the wasabi with my sushi(even though the powdered stuff I buy is actually horseradish with green dye). If you skewer the shrimp prior to cooking, they will remain straight. It looks like you made a "pouch" of some type. How did you do that? It looks good. Great job!
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    I had trouble with rice for a while. I bought a rice cooker, and it got real easy. After rinsing, the rice cooker even makes that toasted rice that is very desireable as well. I only wish I used it more.