Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anybody ever cooked a Tuna Loin?

Options
Tim M
Tim M Posts: 2,410
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My wife has me set to cook a tuna loin monday. I have never done one before and I am looking for some advice. I have NB's new Raging River rub ordered and I will try it but what time/temp should I use on this little rascal? It's about the size of a pork tender loin - about 1.5-2 lb. I am guessing 325-350° and using the new Thermapen to determine when it's done. [p]Suggestions please. Times, temps, finished temp.[p]Tim

Comments

• The Other Dave
    Options
    Tim M, If I had that jewel, I would lightly salt and HEAVILY pepper (fresh cracked black pepper) and garlic powder the outside (first drizzeled with olive oil to make those stick. I'd then get the egg REAL hot and put it in in a shallow pan. When the exterior begins to blacken, it's done regarless of the inside temp. Heck it could be flat out raw, and I'd be happy! It is probably important to start with a room temp loin. [p]Where did you find that thing? I am quite envious!

• Tim M
    Options
    The Other Dave,[p]Thanks for your input. Explain the shallow pan thing please.[p]Here next to the Atlantic they are fairly common. Down the road about 10 miles the fishing boats come back every day with loads of fresh tuna, the tuna loin is not to hard to find. Come on over and I fix you one!!!!!!!!![p]Tim
  • The Other Dave
    Options
    Tim M, I'd put it in a rotiserie if I was sure it would stay secure. Do they make one for an egg? I would avoid the pan completely if I was sure the thing wouldn't stick to the grill and I would stay vigilant enough to turn it often enough. Maybe some form of indirect heat would be good. The shallow pan is only a compromise, but I think an adequate one.

• Tim M
    Options
    The Other Dave,[p]The General (aka my wife) said not to use the pan, she wants the grill marks. I am hoping the new Dizzy Dust Raging River shows up so i can use it. If not I will use a little Sunami rub from Nature Boy and grill at high temp until done.[p]Pictures Monday night - maybe tuesday.[p]Any more suggestions are welcome since I do fish about once every leap year.[p]Tim
  • The Other Dave
    Options
    Tim M, I forgot to mention the lime juice along with the olive oil. I sure look forward to the picks. Remember, "just pink" is overdone with tuna!

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Tim M,
    Alton Brown cooked his on a chimney starter going full bore. He wanted intense heat to sear the outside and leave the inside barely cooked. He just put a grid on top.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz