Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Potatoes cooked with chicken?

Options
BluesnBBQ
BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I want to try something I've never cooked on the Egg before - a whole chicken with potatoes underneath it. I want the potatoes to be flavored by the chicken drippings.

My only problem with this is whenever I cook indirect the drippings end up burning in the drip pan - it doesn't matter what temp or method I use.

I'm thinking of starting it with the chicken directly under the chicken (no rack or second grid), then removing them from the drip pan and letting them cook next to or around the chicken.

Has anyone tried doing chicken (whole or spatchcocked) this way?

Comments

• 61chev
    61chev Posts: 539
    Options
    Try elevating youer drip pan witn some 1" balls of foil
    on top of tour plate setter to give some air space and the drip pan will not burn the juice
    Good luck
    Gerry
  • BluesnBBQ
    Options
    I don't have a plate setter (I'm probably the only Egger who doesn't have one). I use a pizza stone for indirect cooks.
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    shouldn't make a difference as long as you get that space and airflow like 61chev suggested steve. ..i'd try spatchcocking that bird and laying it right on top of your spuds. . .maybe add about 1/2 a cup of chicken broth to the pan if you want for some added moisture to keep from scorching. ...if you are sticking to about 350 dome temp you shouldn't have any problems. ...
  • BluesnBBQ
    Options
    Thanks Max! I'll try that.
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    my pizza stone is suspended beneathteh grid with a versagrate from bbqguru i like this better that the plate setter , eggcessories also makes a ring to accomplish this

food020.jpg

you can use two pans with spacers and raise them off your stone with other spacers.. many people use 1/2 copper pipe elbows for this

mini042.jpg

slide show of all my chicken over veggie cooks

th_mini048.jpg

good luck
    bill
  • TheGrillisGone
    Options
    I do the spatchcock chicken on the raised grid with the pan of quartered red potatoes, onions, and peppers on the bottom grid.

Since this usually cooks for an hour...I stir the veggies towards the end of the cook.

I think veggies flavor chicken as well...

Jim
    Snellville, GA
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    This was done dierct @ 400° 1 hr. Lump top of fire box, grid on fire ring.

I used the adjustable rig. Bottom grid with potatoes at fire ring egg grit on top of adjustable rig.

This will work just as well with grid on fire ring and raised grid.

Potato tub, I wanted to see what the difference would be with sliced bakers or quartered reds.

Some EVOO on the bottom of the pan. Potatoes, sliced onion, light s&p, put in a little italian sausage, potaotes, onions and a little more italian sausage.

Cooked for 1 hr. with some apple chips for flavor smoke.

When done pulled the bird & foiled. I took the potato tub and covered with cheese and tented. When the cheese melted we served.

Potatoes were as good as the chicken.

chickspud1.jpg
    chickspud2.jpg
    chickspud4.jpg
    chickspud5.jpg

GG
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    I do it like this, plate setter, main grid with veggies, and chicken on the extended grid. -RP

IMG_0818Small.jpg