Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can smoke from a cook absorb and

Options
BamaFan
BamaFan Posts: 658
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
give off heat (spice heat)? Cooked boneless thighs tonight with DP SV and JFW. I put the rubs on while the chicken was on the fire. About 10 minutes later my face was burning. There was a lot of smoke directly in my face during the cook due to wind direction. Just curious.

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    I have found it can. I use a hot pepper mop on some meat and once in a while I will catch some smoke in the face. After the smoke clears I have had some burning on the skin, eyes and eye lids. Seems my eyelids are more sensitive than most anywhere else on my face.

GG
  • BamaFan
    BamaFan Posts: 658
    Options
    It was the first time I have experienced this during a cook. A couple of cold ones cured the problem. ;)
  • Slotmercenary
    Slotmercenary Posts: 1,071
    Options
    smoke and heat can definetly absorb and transfer irritants. think about how fine the dust is that you can't see when application takes place.
    i would think it would be like burning poison ivy or oak and being anywhere in the smoke cloud, OUCH!!
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    “Slotmercenary” has hit it on the head…
    Oils, particulate, ash, soot and so on are VERY present in smoke! You could well indeed get a dose of the spice in a blast of smoke. Remember not to rub your eyes!
    He’s right on about the Poison Ivy too….If you’re burning it, don’t breath the smoke, you will most likely end up in a hospital.