Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

loin back ribs

Options
Babyray
Babyray Posts: 250
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Planning to do 3 slabs on lge. BGE. using inverted plate setter with drip pan sitting in plate setter, then grill, then inverted v-rack with ribs cut into 6 racks. Have seen mixed signals about the dome temp. How about some suggestions? Thanks.[p]Ray Price

Comments

• Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Options
    Babyray,
    I use 225-250 and they're done when the bones move easily and almost pull off the slab. I would guess at 4-5 hours.
    Have fun.[p]

• Zip
    Zip Posts: 372
    Options
    Babyray,[p]I don't think you could go wrong with a dome temp of around 250-300. It's been awhile since I've cooked low and slow based on dome. I like 275 at the grill/food level and get very consistant results no matter what kind or how much mass I have in the cooker. A polder style thermo or a simple oven themo will show you the grill level temp.[p]HTH!
    Ashley

• CR
    CR Posts: 175
    Options
    Zip,
    In general, is the grill temp usually lower or higher than the dome temp? Approximately how many degrees? Also, would it make sense to just adjust the dome temp to get to the desired grill temp instead of measuring the grill temp with an additional temp device?[p]Thanks, CR

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    CR,
    Is the grill temp usually lower or higher than the dome temp?
    Usually lower, unless you are cooking direct.[p]Approximately how many degrees?
    I have found up to 80 degrees difference, and as little as 5, depending on the setup. The difference is usually larger at the start of the cook. Once the ceramic, and all the mass you have in the cooker is heated through, the difference usually gets smaller. Water in the drip pan really creates a big difference....since it never gets above 212. And a lot depends on the airflow allowed by your particular setup.[p]Also, would it make sense to just adjust the dome temp to get
    to the desired grill temp instead of measuring the grill temp with an additional temp device?
    Yes! That makes very much sense! And this is the method I recommend. Once you are familiar with your particular setup, it becomes easier to judge things by dome temp. But if you really want to know your cooking level temps, monitoring that level is the only way I know without guessing.[p]Hope that helps.
    Great weekend to you!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Zip
    Zip Posts: 372
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]I couldn't have said it better myself.[p]ashley

• CR
    CR Posts: 175
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Thanks for the info. I believe that I now have a clue as to why the cooking time on my first Pork Butt, about a month ago, seemed so strange. Up to an 80 degree difference is very significant. I was keeping my dome temp @ 225-250 but could have been quite a bit lower at the cooking level.[p]I am doing another butt tonight and will go at about 250 dome temp and tomorrow when internal is about 175-180 I will crank it up to 300 for the finish; I have seen this recommended on this forum. [p]Thanks again and have a good weekend.
    CR

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Options
    Babyray,
    I use a similar setup to yours. I have no trouble running 300F to 350F, particularly if the drip pan has liquid in it. Even at this temp, the ribs typically take 5.5 to 6 hours.
    JimW

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Zip,
    Hey buddy! Man, it is good to see you around here again. Hope thngs are well with you.[p]I kinda figured you wudda been thinkin along the same lines...so I jumped in. Hope you don't mind![p]Great weekend to you
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Zip,
    I sure miss Mr.Williams...I would love to have some of his ribs,sauce with dill pickles and corn fritters...GO DAWGS.
    Larry

• Babyray
    Babyray Posts: 250
    Options
    Nature Boy, [p]Thanks for the info and thanks to all the other related posters. Hope to meet y'all at the Eggtoberfest.[p]Ray Price