Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

PING* Gramdpas Grub ***

Options
bubba tim
bubba tim Posts: 3,216
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Kent, I am trying to "sell the concept" to my wife about a mini. We currently use a cast iron habbachi for those small searing jobs. Give me some ammo.
Thanks
Tim
SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Tell her you really love her, then get it out of the car.

Geeze by all means I am no authority...

You need to tell us more about your situation. What you want to do and what other egg(s) you have.

One thing to keep in mind. Folks are doing whole chickens and some say longer smoking, but that is more of a novelty on the mini.

Chicken halfs, quarters, parts, are all great on the mini. Dogs, sausage, brats (for up to 10 in my case) is great on the mini. Burgers 4 or 5 depending on the size of the burger.

Anything you can do on any of the eggs for the most part can be done on the mini with the restriction of about 4 hours (higher temps) the size of the grid and the height of the dome.

Without any accessories I can somewhat have a raised grid - just put less lump in the fire box - just get the base of the lump further away from the grid. Keep in mind less cook time also with less lump.

The mini is extremely portable.

There is someone one here on the forum who has pictures of a lot of different food they have cooked on the mini.

For the wife and I and for the wife and I and 3 grandkids the mini is easy, quick (but my tests so far don't prove that), and very little lump.

I once loaded the mini with 6 large ears of corn, some sticking a little out the dome and it cooked them great.

If the choice were a small or a mini without knowing your goal I would blindly say small or medium first.

I hope some other folk will jump in with their thoughts for you.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    There is a mini post just below. The pictures of things cooked on the mini is below. Several pictures actually.

There is some additional information also.

GG
  • bubba tim
    Options
    Thanks Kent. I was in tears with the "get out of the car". I am thinking about using it as a habbachi with a lid. Mainly steaks, burgers, chickens, flat bread, etc. There is only two of us and firing up the large is a waste. The Lodge habbachi is a waste of lump. You can't put the lump out and it is messy as he11.
    How wide is a mini? Can you do a small pizza on it. I have never seen one in person, just on the web. I have a gaser with two TEC infareds but it is just not the same.
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • bubba tim
    Options
    I read them but I also value your option.
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    bt i have a bunch of mini pics but i have posted them so oftern i am afraid i will become annoying [or already am] ... i am considering putting all my mini pics in a slide show or i can just send you some.. i plan on doing some mini tests ala gg soon. would appreciate if you would make the request so i do not seem like a bandwidth hog
    feel free to e-mail if you wish
    bill
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    Ok this is in reverse! I had been hounding Neil for a couple of months about getting a mini. He thought it looked like a "toy" We went to the New England egg fest and ONE GUY told him how cool it was and how much he loved his and Neil had to have one. SOOOOOO this is a wife telling your wife GET IT! I love it. we use it tons more than the others, we have 1 of each, but not the XL.
    I don't do pizzas on it we use the lg or med for that. but only because I don't have anything to act as a stone. ALMOST anything you do on the others you can do on the mini.and you only use a couple of cups of lump. and it is cute too and it is portable. it can go right in the car and to a friends house, or camping or on vacation. they love to travel. :whistle:
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Think of a over inflated basket ball (and taller). I'll go out and measure mine in a minute.

You might consider a small, however, you can do the smoking and slow cooks on the large.

Like mainegg said I thought of it as a toy. I went to the dealer 7 or 8 times specifically looking at the mini. I finally said to myself to heck with I am going to get it anyway.

Actually Mainegg's post could easily have been my post, well except for the girly things :);) (but your wife would like that).

My other eggs, l,m,s, get used the least of all now.

I sort of laugh when filling up the mini. It takes so little lump to fill up.

You will have the same experience with the small, it too just doesn't take much lump.

Now this is a guy thing... bigger is better! This thinking is probably the reason I got my medium over the small, then I got the small over the mini. This same thinking makes me wonder if I should be so strong on the mini when recomending which you should get.

Kent
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    B.T. all my mini pics are in a slide show now... your call.... post them or e-mail . grid is about 9 inches in diameter
    bill
  • bubba tim
    Options
    I sent you an email. thx
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    LOL OK here is another reason to have a mini with your other eggs. ;) save all the really small lump for it. if you are just doing burgers you want it fast and hot anyways. then all the med and lg lump is for the big eggs. soooo..... that is like "free" lump for the mini right? :silly:
  • bubba tim
    Options
    Oh course bigger is better Kent! Thanks for all the imput. I got smokers covered. The little chef does not eat smoked foods which sucks for me. I love low and slow. She is more of carmelize and sear. It is workable.
  • bubba tim
    Options
    good point! but honey, its so cute ..
  • skitzafranek
    Options
    for anyone looking for a mini!!!!!!!!!

I just bought a new mini at grategrillsonline.com. I had to call and have him ship it to me because I am too far away to go and buy it directly. However he told me he accidently ordered too many and is selling them at $169 a piece. The store close to me is selling them for almost $300 dollars!!!!!!!!!!! I have to pay for shipping, but this was a no brainer for me. Their number is 1-228-385-0799. Ask for George and tell him Chad sent you his way. I can't wait for mine. I have a large, but I am using this for small cooks for me and my wife and for tailgating!!!!!!!!! Football can't get here soon enough!!!!!!!!!!
  • bubba tim
    Options
    You are my new best friend! I live in south Fl, and the only dealer is HD expo. They only sell the large. How much was your shipping? I know I will not have a warrenty guys. I think I can sell that to the wife.
  • skitzafranek
    Options
    I live in Kansas City, Missouri and he is shipping the egg and the stand for like 50 bucks... So still wayyyyyyy cheaper than I can buy it here... Shipping all depends on where you are. He can figure out the cost by you zip code.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Bubba Tim,

The mini is 16" tall 12" od diamater.

Make sure you look at the mini post above!!! $169 for a mini. That has got to be close to cost. Depending where you are at you might have to pay for shipping.

I paid almost $300 for mine and the stand. ($240 for the mini + tax).

You might put up a post about low and slow on the small. I have not done anything long ont he small and if you are just going to smoke for 1 then that might be a good option. It is going to be more work to travel with though.

Kent
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • bubba tim
    Options
    That is big enough for most items including pizzas. I agree, at 169 that is a deal. I will call them tomorrow.
    Thanks Kent.