Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Follow up on my small...

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Sunday night we let the small burn for hours to get rid of the mold. I planned on cooking on it for the next three nights, so this morning I went to check the mold situation, and the frakin' gasket is fused shut!!! I am super pissed off about all my troubles with this thing. I may just sell it off to the highest bidder and go back to my large. Oh wait, I never really stopped using my large since every time I try to use the small there is a problem!

I really don't mean to sound like a troll. I am just venting. I love my large egg and wouldn't give it up with out a fight.

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    well I balance you out since I love my small! A high temp burnout is typically asking for a fused gasket. Next time insert strips of foil. BTW why not join the board otherwise we may still think you are a troll.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • I would gladly give your small a good home and not even ask for eggstra child support! ;)
  • That was part of my original post...I can't figure out how to activate my handle. I follow the directions, it tells me to check my email, and nothing comes. I like the idea of being a member vs a guest, but I had been posting on the old board for a few years with no problems. Now I am considered a guest, but really I shouldn't be.

I guess I have learned not to do a high burn without foil in between my gasket, but I still need to know how to fix my current problem.

This has just been a very frustrating situation from day one. I had been lobbying for a small for a couple of years now. When my husband and I went to Waldorf this year I was able to convince him that we should get the small by using our "economic stimulus" money. You know, do the patriotic thing and help "stimulate the economy". After our first cook the mold problem started and it has been an ongoing issue ever since.
  • You need to post your registration problem on the forum feedback forum. Problems seem to get resolved if the webmaster sees the post there.
    The Naked Whiz
  • ChuckGGa
    ChuckGGa Posts: 115
    I have a couple of larges, and a small - never had any mmold issues in them unless I left a drip pan in them or something... do you have a good seal between top and bottom? do you cover them up after they cool down? I'm curious to know the reason for the mold, since I have not experienced it. I've had the small for a year and a half or so - and honestly, it gets used more than the larges do lately - it's just so quick and efficient, and plenty of room for food for me and the wife -
    Hate to hear you are having problems - where are you located? could weather be a piece of it?

8 Green Eggs...I have a problem, ha ha!   1-XL; 2-L, 2-Med; 2-Sm; 1-Mini.       

• I don't have a cover, but I guess I'll have to get one. I have never needed one for my large. I live in Maryland, and although the summers here are humid, it is no more humid than normal. Plus, my large is still fine. I never leave a drip pan in them and I think the seal is fine, but matbe it isn't. Maybe I need to have Wess and Sally B. come over to help me trouble shoot. I'll have to cook them something on the large.
  • Lola, we keep a small out at the lake. We too had a mold problem until I started leaving the lower vent open (screen still closed to prevent ingress by cooties) and propped up the rain cap somewhat. The cover is still in place but now the egg seems to "air out" well enough to prevent mold.
    Everyone will stick the dome to the base at some point and this is not a function of egg size. A putty knife inserted and worked all the way around will get it opened again.
    As for registration on the forum, I have tried so many times that I have finally given up most all hope of ever being a Green Poster. My handle is logged on as being used but I never receive the magic decoder ring or the secret instructions I so covet in order to complete the process. I am now going for the record of "longest forum visiter".
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    LOL... I though I saw you with a green handle a while back? I remember thinking RVH finally got through.

I would think WMK would have your registration resolved by now.

GG
  • Hi Kent. No such luck as to turn green. I enjoy reading the experiments you are conducting on your med egg.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Thanks,

I've got a bunch more info, just trying to figure out to present it so it is interesting/useful.

I hope things are well with you folks,

Kent