Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Removing small bits of charcol and potential deck fires

Options
kilo
kilo Posts: 77
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have had several situations where small burning coals have blown out of the lower vent while bringing the temp up initially. In one case it burned two boards on my deck which I had to replace. I stir the charcoal before starting, and remove the ash but I still seem to get a lot of small chunks that either block the airways or a gust of wind creats a backdraft and will blow them out onto my deck. Is there a better procedure to reduce the small bits of charcoal that seem to accumulate on top of the grate? I use an old shop vac from time to time which helps but is a pain in the rear. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Kilo,
    There is no sure firer way to insure that you won't continue to have these kinds of problems short of taking the cooker off of your deck.
    You can put to gether a wind shield to lessen the chances but that won't insure you won't be replacing boards in the future.
    Jim
    PS: I cook on a concrete driveway outside the garage, put in a large sink and don't have to drag greasy stuff thru the house anymore (wife really likes that).
    Jim

• Kilo, two things work for me. Always leave a layer of ash in the bottom so that when embers pop there is a good chance they will stay inside instead of bouncing out. I also formed a small tray which rests between the BGE bottom and the shelf which chances strays. Some people use a special mat, but that too will reek havoc with your wooden deck due to trapping moisture and becomes home for those little black bugs that go bump in the night!

• Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Kilo,
    I don't have that probelm because I cook on a patio that has poured concrete. I was thinking though....what about placing a 'screen' inside the egg? It can be slide to the side when you want to clean out ash and slid right back to catch any embers. Any kind of small mesh chicken wire should work. I don't see it getting that hot. Does not even have to be high speed, just the size of an index card. Just might work....

Apollo Beach, FL
  • I use a metal pan that is sold for putting underneath a
    hot water heater for protecting my deck. I actually use it
    for a WSM but I am sure you could use it also for an egg.
    As I remember it cost around $20.00 at home depot.