Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza

Options
Gandolf
Gandolf Posts: 906
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, after a so so, or worse, first pizza experience a month or so ago, it's time to make another run at it. I'm going to make my own dough (Spin's) this time and plan to make three or four pizza pies. Many of you say to pre-heat the stone, many of you say to only warm the stone before putting pizza on. Unless I hear an uproar, I plan to stabalize egg, plate setter, stone, etc. to temp before putting pizza on. However, I have only one peel, so do I need to do anything to the stone to cool it between pies? Kinda seems like stabalizing temp should keep the stone temp constant (relatively) and I shouldn't have to worry about it between pies. Expert advice, please. I really hope I can get it right this time. Thanks

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Gandolf,[p]Your plan of attack sounds OK, but it takes a little experimentation to get it just right for your setup and dough and toppings(avoid wet tomatoes). I like to bring my setter up to 550°-575° (vent open and daisy top wide open) and make sure the smoke has stopped as it burns off the previous meals remains. Then I add the pizza stone as I make ready the 1st of 2 11-12" pies. The stone is in there about 5-10 min.[p]If your crust burns - use less preheat next time since the heat coming thru it cooks the crust. Some have tried lowering the dome temps to compensate, but I have never tried that since mine don't burn anyway. Good luck with it this time. You might tell us how you did it last time that didn't come out well. Variations in your doughs moisture level may also play a roll in times to cook, as some here have reported.[p]Tim
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Gandolf,
    I have found that the second pie will brown a little less than the first since the first pie cooking will cool the stone somewhat. If you keep feeding pies onto the stone, the stone won't have a chance to heat back up. However, you can use a damp rag to wipe the stone to cool it before the first pie, and in between pies if you don't keep the pies coming. This is a trick used by some pizza places.[p]Using unbaked pies that I buy from my local pizza place, I have found 550 degrees to be the right temp for their pies. I preheat the plate setter and the stone for 30 minutes and cook the pie for 7 minutes. You will probably find that the ideal temp differs based upon the type of crust you make, how much moisture in it, etc. So, experiment, keep track of what you do, and you should be able to find the right temp and method that works for you.[p]Here is a link to my page on pizza tips, in case something there will help:[p]TNW[p]

[ul][li]The Naked Whiz'a Pizza Page[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • sdbelt
    sdbelt Posts: 267
    Options
    Gandolf,[p]I only have one peel as well. I stabilize my temp at 650 and pizzas are cooked in 6-7 minutes. My dough recipe is similar to Spin's. [p]The only thing that I worry about with one peel is not leaving a hot pizza on the peel for any length of time. If you do that, you risk the next pizza sticking to the peel, when you go to slide it to the stone in the Egg. Also, don't let the peel get wet, possibly from some sauce or cheeze that spills off a hot pizza. Just be sure it's cool and dusted and you should be good to go.[p]--sdb
  • Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    Gandolf,
    I've only done multiple pizza's once and had moderate to good success. I too only have one peel. You might try flipping the peel between pizza's, although I don't see a real problem using just one.
    Personally, I preheat plate setter and stones to 600 or so for 20 minutes before the first pie goes on. Hadn't thought of the stone cooling off from the first pizza. So, next time, I might let the stone come back up to temp for maybe 10 mins before putting it on. My time is between 10-12 mins on a pie. More or less, depending on how brown you want the cheese.