Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My second brisket

Options
EgginDawg
EgginDawg Posts: 747
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My first brisket was a bust- overcooked, dry, no flavor. After getting a new rub recipe that includes chicory coffee and a spice called cardamom?! I decided to try again. After an overnight bathed in the rub, I put her on the egg Friday AM @ 9
IMG_0021.jpg
Here it is when I foiled @ 4PM
IMG_0031.jpg
Finally, after spending 3 hours in a cooler wrapped in towels
IMG_0035-1.jpg
I have to say the brisket was real moist and tender. The rub was real tasty but a lot more salty than I like. Not perfect but getting closer... :unsure:

Comments

• Stanley
    Stanley Posts: 623
    Options
    I hear your "too salty", though I don't know what rub you were using. I've been going with Dizzy Pig rubs lately because I don't find them overly salty. I have a couple of DP's that are salt-free - I add salt, mind you, but the amount I want. That said, their non salt-free rubs are not overly salted - unlike lots of other commercial rubs.
  • Boxerpapa
    Boxerpapa Posts: 989
    Options
    That's the funny thing about brisket, gives you an excuse to keep trying for a better piece.
  • EgginDawg
    Options
    The recipe I used was given to me at the NGE cookout at my house last Saturday. John got it out of the BBQ bible. The recipe had garlic, cardamom, kosher salt, chicory coffee, and some other spices. I have never used cardamom but when you smell it it has a strong smell, almost peppery. Add the salt to it and it was too much. I think I might try the recipe again w/o the additional salt as the flavor was very good. I love using DP products....just wanted to try something new.
  • Fluffyb
    Fluffyb Posts: 1,815
    Options
    I love cardamom. Had a very dear friend from Syria in the 80's. Put the whole pods into water boiled for tea. So fragrant.
  • Slotmercenary
    Slotmercenary Posts: 1,071
    Options
    Nice looking and getting there is half the fun. try doing a brisket with just good ol Salt and Pepper and see how you like it. Have you ever tried JH texas briskit rub? it is the bomb with that particular cut of meat.
    i would imagine that DP red eye on brisket should be very tasty as well.
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    I have learned the hard way about briskets. Make sure you start with a good quality meat. I won't do flats anymore. I only get CAB choice fromt he local market. It makes a difference.
  • trish
    trish Posts: 15
    Options
    i just did my first brisket. It was a flat cut. Pretty good though. What's CAB?
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    Certified Angus Beef

I've done flats that were good, but they are tough to do well all the time. The extra fat on a whole packer brisket really help with the juciness of the brisket.
  • EgginDawg
    Options
    Thanks hints. Mine was a flat cut but had a good-sized fat cap. My problem on this cook was not moistness, it was the saltiness of the recipe I chose.
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    Yeah, you do have to watch the salt. I like to blend butt rub and swamp venom or butt rub and turbinado sugar for briskets.