Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Jerry...on your salty ribs...

Options
Nature Boy
Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Jerry,
A strong possibility to your "salty" problem: Were your ribs tumbled?? Did it say on the package "treated with up to a 12% solution..blah blah blah"???? You find that more and more these days. I stay away from anything that is soaked or tumbled in a solution. Always check the package. If you end up with those kind of ribs, definitely cut the salt way back.[p]On another note, with most rubs you have to play with the amount of rub that is applied. Large cuts like butts and briskets can stand a pretty heavy dose, but ribs and thinner cuts you don't want to lay it on too heavy. Most rubs are formulated to provide good flavor with the "right" amount of saltiness. Maybe a lighter coat?? [p]Hope that helps. I hate hearing of meat getting tossed!
Better luck next time.
Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ

Comments

• Nature Boy,
    Thanks for the follow-up. I don't *think* the "ribs" were treated, but I could be wrong - out of curiosity I'll check next time I go to the supermarket. I don't like to throw out meat, either, but these were inedible. In general, I wonder if one is better leaving salt out of rubs, and adding it separately, since the amount of salt can make a big difference, and it's hard to know how much one is applying when it's blended in a rub. Anyway, as with many other things in life, failures are an inevitable and necessary part of the pathway to success... I'll just learn from it and cook on...

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Jerry,
    If they were inedible, I really think they must have been tumbled. I have laid it on ribs pretty heavier than usual, and not had that problem. Our rubs are not heavy on the salt percentage-wise.[p]That said, we are definitely considering some low or no salt rubs, since there are folks who need to restrict their salt intake. If you find your ribs were tumbled or not, I would love it if you could email me and let me know. Feedback is valuable to us.[p]Thanks for your comments.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ