Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Looking forward to a delicious Christmas dinner? Keep our Holiday Entertaining Publication handy throughout December for all your holiday dinner needs. But you can also find some of our favorites on our Country Christmas page, including Christmas Ham and Peach Cobbler. Happy cooking!

The 17th Annual EGGtoberfest was amazing - here are the highlights Click Here

How long does it take a digital to read a temp??

Tim MTim M Posts: 2,410
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have heard many people say their thermometers take 10sec, 20sec, 40, 2 min to get an accurate reading. I have been guilty of it too. I was reading the text on the Thermopen site and came across this test to see how long it takes to read an accurate temp. I suppose you could do the same with boiling water - someone else can run that test to compare the two. I am awaiting delivery of my ThermoPen to compare it to my Old Polder "instant read" that took 30 seconds to get a 34° reading. Here is what I found on the Thermopen site:[p]Other digital thermometers found today in retail outlets use a very cheap sensor called a thermistor.
The only problem with that is they’re relatively slow, taking 20 to 30 seconds to read a complete temperature. Many are even advertised as “Instant Read” and some packages boast a 1 second response time. This is misleading. What they really mean is the display updates at once per second.You still have to wait until the sensor comes to the full temperature of the food you’re measuring. Because a thermistor is made from carbon and epoxy; and it requires a tube size of 1/8" diameter, it really takes 20 seconds or longer to reach the full temperature. If you already have one of these, you can test its true response time by immersing it in a cup of ice water (mostly ice with only enough water to fill the gaps between the ice) and checking how long it takes to reach 32°F. You’ll be surprised. Now you know how long your thermometer takes to read a temperature. [p]
Tim

[ul][li]ThermoPen[/ul]

Comments