Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

JJ Burgers Like Steak

RhumAndJerk
RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
When I arrived home last night, my wife informed me that I needed fire up the grill. Without even asking what I was going to cook, I rolled Mr. Big out of the garage and fired him up. Time was running thin because I had to go pick my tickets for the upcoming Cleveland Indians season (World Series Champs I hope). I had cook and eat within 45 minutes.[p]With Mr. Big warming up, I finally asked what I was making. She told me that there were JJ Burgers in the refrigerator, Yum. About 15 minutes later, Mr. Big had wrapped his thermometer back to 100. I placed the burgers on and cooked them for 2 minutes per side and a three-minute rest. [p]The burgers were cooked to Well-Done, but the catch is that they were full of juice. Everyone ate them including my 9-month old son. My wife had made Garlic Smashed Potatoes and a can of green beans to round out the meal.[p]I rolled Mr. Big still hot back into the garage and made my ticket draft on time, all in less than 45 minutes. The flavor of the JJ Burgers stayed with me all night and is really incredible.[p]Go Tribe,
RhumAndJerk

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    RhumAndJerk,
    Another great story!
    Mr. Big heats up quickly. The other day, I was asked to season a cast iron dutch oven and skillet for my sister in law. I fired up humpty junior, and Mr. Big at the same time. (BTW, the large egg has the trivet grate, and the small egg has Kenny G's turbo grate).[p]After 10 or 15 minutes, Big was cruising at 500, while junior just crested 200. I wonder if the smaller air intake is the explanation. The Small seems to take longer to get going.[p]What are your observations there?? Does your small take a while to get going??[p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Nature Boy,
    The current configuration is as follows. Mr. Big has the new style ceramic/ expanded metal great ala CharWoody. My small is using a KennyG Standard Turbo Grate.[p]The difference in temperature gaining is all about the size of the intake, in my opinion. It is kind of like a Piper Cub taking off and 747 rolling down the tarmac, both fly but go about it a little different.[p]The biggest difference is lack of temperature drop in Mr. Big. When my small is humming at 700 and you open the dome, the temperature will fall back to 500-550 and climb slowly. Mr. Big drops the same but comes right back to temperature.[p]Furthermore, the small would take about 30 minutes to get to high temperature where as Mr. Big just climbs and climbs.[p]It is too bad that Mr. Big is only a guest and not a permanent resident, all things in time. The unfortunate thing is that I am very busy for the next two weekends. I really need to make Pizza while I have Mr. Big.[p]Go Tribe,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    RhumAndJerk,
    Start savin' them pennies!! I believe Mr. Big would make a wonderful contribution to your household.[p]I seared some lamb chops on the small the other day, then transferred to a steady 300 degree large for the finish. There have already been numerous occassions where I have had both eggs humming along together.[p]Not that I need to persuade you or anything!!
    Your fellow cultist
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ