Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled Pork Question

Options
RhumAndJerk
RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I had a request over the weekend for a recipe for Pulled Pork. Here is the kicker; there will not be a BGE involved. Here are my thoughts and I just want to know if this makes sense. For 50 people, I am suggesting three butts, as other meats will be served as well. [p]The process that I am contemplating is to start the butts on a gas grill with a chip box to get as much smoke to the meat as possible. After about three hours, I would then transfer the butts to an indoor over, where the butts would finish cooking for as low’n’slo as possible hopefully 225 for some 15 hours. To make up for the loss of moisture in the oven, I would baste with a thin vinegar sauce. [p]Will this work or am I in left field with this one?
RhumAndJerk[p]

Comments

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,
    Since you want to finish in an oven, think about wrapping in foil to retain moisture. Also placing the butts on a rack in a pan you might consider the use of liquid smoke. (Restaurant quality)

• RhumAndJerk
    Options
    JJ,
    I am concerned with the extra grease from the meat actually stewing/steaming the pork. If this is ok, then Reynolds baking bags may work.
    I had not though about that.
    Would I still put some vinegar sauce in the bag?
    R&J

• RhumAndJerk,
    Seems like you have a decent plan of attack and that all will come out well. Either way, here are a couple of things for you to consider.[p]1. When cooking on a gas grill, the residual heat from the flames/lava rocks can be pretty intense. If there are multiple burners, only use one and don't put the meat directly above it if you can. If you think that it is too hot in the cooking chamber consider opening it slightly to help vent out the heat.[p]2. Consider doing bone in butts. Score the meat faily deep but not quite to the bone on both sides in a criss cross pattern about every inch or two. This allows for your rub to penetrate into the meat better and shortens the cooking time. Steve in KC showed me that trick and it seems to work well. *NOTE* Don't do this if you are NOT going to foil or if you plan on slicing. This is good for foiled pulled pork.[p]Matt.[/b]
  • JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,
    I would not put the sauce in the bag but serve it to the side as a dipping sauce.

• Stogie
    Stogie Posts: 279
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,[p]I have exactly the same catering gig for a tailgate party the weekend of Oct. 19. 50 people to feed. They want ribs, pulled pork, chicken and sides of slaw and beans.[p]I will have to do the butt PRIOR to the party.....I do not have access to the site until morning of the game.[p]So, I will be cooking my butts the weekend before, vacuum sealing and freezing and then re-heating once at the site.[p]Can you do this as well? I like the idea of using my own equipment and butt re-heats so well...so why not prepare ahead of time. [p]The ribs and chicken I can do on-site.[p]Stogie
  • Kansas
    Options
    Stogie,
    How is the best way to re-heat pulled pork. I am going to cook up several for a tailgate party with 50 of my closest friends. Like you plan on cooking ahead in the egg and then heating in the parking lot in a weber. Thanks
    Kansas

• Freak
    Freak Posts: 79
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,[p]I store the pork in vacuum seal bags and reheat in hot water. I have done the same with Babybacks and they turn out great. Nothin like hot off the grill, but still darn good.[p]-Tom
  • RhumAndJerk
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,
    Thank you all for the responses. It was exactly the information that I was looking for.
    Thanks,
    R&J

• RhumAndJerk,[p]I"ve done pork butts in my Weber genesis with a water pan and smoke chips and have had great results. Easy to maintain 225° to 250° using the back burner on about medium high.[p]bob