Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Big Round Drip Pans

Big Murth
Big Murth Posts: 350
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anyone run across big aluminum (throw-away) roasting/drip pans that would fit under the large (18") grid for a Large BGE, and/or fit inside a large plate setter inverted??? I use a plate setter instead of firebricks for a lot of indirect cooks, and I'm tired of spillovers past the edges of an old rectangular drip pan I use, or having to handmake a drip surface out of HD tin foil. Thanks for any suggestions or tips! Been awhile since I've been lurking, but there's still smoke curling off the portal at the Murthas' house.
Big Murth

Comments

• Freak
    Freak Posts: 79
    Big Murth,[p]I use a 18" deep-dish pizza pan. It is about 3/4" deep and is slightly larger than the surface of the platesetter so it protects the entire surface. I bought it at Atlanta Fixture in Atlanta, GA (3185 Northeast Expressway Atlanta, Georgia 30341 (770) 455-8844 Toll Free 800-282-1977).[p]It isn't throw-away, but as long as you put water in it, clean-up isn't too bad. If the drippings burn, I soak it in hot water and some dishwasher soap for about an hour and it cleans-up nicely.[p]I sometimes use deep aluminum foil roasting pans and place the v-rack in pan.[p]-Tom
  • djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Freak:[p]AF has some nice toys . . . Sometimes those pizza pans are available with an easy to clean surface, see link for Tuff-Kote. They are a bit pricey from this source; cheaper if you can find them local. You can always soap them or wrap them with oversize foil for easy clean up.
    [ul][li]Pizza Pans[/ul]
  • Mop
    Mop Posts: 496
    Big Murth, yes, they sell them at Sobey's at the Brant power Centre right here in Burlington..[p]Mop
    [/b]
  • JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Big Murth,
    I've got a nice 14" stainless steel pan that I line with foil for easy cleanup. It works real well. I got it at a restaurant supply store.
    JimW

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    yo Steve! Yeah I for one kinda wondered what happened to you as you were aregular for a while and then dropped outa site. I just assumed R/E sales were so good you were too busy to chat. Welcome back! PS that b-i-l of yours ever get his own BGE or is he still putting his money in auto racing?

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Big Murth, the link shows a 16 ingh steel gold-panning pan that costs about $8.

[ul][li]Drip Pan[/ul]
  • Freak
    djm5x9,[p]Thanks - I'll have to keep this link for future reference. We make homemade pizza too so this will come in handy. If you are looking for a good online source for specialty bakng stuff, (like hard to find flour) check out this link. I just bought some semolina and durham flour from them this week. Will try some pizza on the BGE next week.[p]-Tom
  • Freak
    djm5x9,[p]Thanks - I'll have to keep this link for future reference. We make homemade pizza too so this will come in handy. If you are looking for a good online source for specialty bakng stuff, (like hard to find flour) check out this link. I just bought some semolina and durham flour from them this week. Will try some pizza on the BGE next week.[p]-Tom

• www.KingArthurFlour.com[p]Not sure why the link did not post :(

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Big Murth,
    Try K-Atom for a deep dish pizza pan. Works great![p]Ken

• Big Murth,[p]I found the perfect thing. I use a circa late 1800's porcelain on steel bed pan. It's a real beauty...and it's a perfect fit in the large, or medium egg. You won't find it in any ol' ordinary kitchen supply place though. They can be had relatively cheap at many yard sales..people almost wanna give them away... and oh, by the way..a word of advice...if you do go this route....I would not use this if you plan to make gravy from the drippins...just my 2 cents[p]Have a happy day!

• Big Murth,
    Glad (and thankful) for the posts/suggestions on how to fill up the space under 18" of grid--usually above the plate setter----dankeschoen/gracias everyone!!----with some sort of form-fitting device that allows you to load the grid to the edges and not drop too much grease/drippings onto the fire. As always, if devoid of politics or whinings, this is the best place/Forum to get great advice and assistance from knowledgable Q'ers. Good to hear from some old and new BGE names/handles!!
    Big Murth

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Freak:[p]King Arthur is a great place for baking supplies and ideas. I think Publix may still carry their flour locally. You can get semolina and durum at places like Nuts & Berries on PIB near Oglethorpe University. Below is a link to a source for pizza toys. You may find my pizza page of interest, take a peek . . .[p]http://djm5x9.home.mindspring.com/KamadoPizzaPage.htm

[/b]