Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Share rub blends

Options
ChefDave
ChefDave Posts: 142
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Jan and I are wanting to start to blend our own rubs. I know many of you have some great rub blends.

Would you share then with us?

David :cheer:

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    try this one ;)

Rub, All Purpose

An all purpose dry rub for any kind of meat you eat. Use generously.

1/4 cup coarse salt (kosher or sea)
    1/4 cup dark brown sugar
    1/4 cup sweet paprika
    2 Tbs freshly ground black pepper

Combine the salt, brown sugar, paprika and pepper in a small bowl and stir to mix.

Recipe Type
    Rub

Recipe Source
    Source: Primo, Chef Arnoldi, 07/31/06

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• TNmike
    TNmike Posts: 643
    Options
    Here is a "Memphis Style" rub a friend of mine put together. I've not used it on anything but butts and ribs, it should work with other cooks as well though. TNmike

One Part of each of the following: cumin, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, cayenne pepper, black pepper, white pepper, allspice, dry mustard and two parts salt, and three parts brown sugar.

Mix the above and store in a sealed container until ready to use. This is great on Memphis style pork ribs. Wet ribs with olive oil or apple juice and then coat with the rub, cook and add BAR-B-Q sauce at the end. (hint-use granulated brown sugar because it won't lump up) (and don't use garlic or onion salt, powder only)
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Here's a link to one I mix up for ribs and butts...never really tried it anything else...and with Dizzy Pig rubs around I don't have a desire to try it anything else....http://www.wessb.com/Cooks/bbribs/Rub.doc
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    but it's an old stand by and fits just about every kind of meat or veggie you can put on your Egg.

JJ's Rub
    Submitted by: JJ jgocek@airnet.net

Ingredients:
    5- tablespoons dark brown sugar
    4- tablespoons paprika
    1- tablespoon rosemary
    4- teaspoons onion powder
    4- teaspoons garlic powder
    4- teaspoons dry mustard
    3- teaspoons dried sweet basil
    2- teaspoons ground bay leaves (If you can't find ground use whole)
    1½- teaspoons ground coriander
    1½- teaspoons ground savory
    1½- teaspoons dried thyme
    1½- teaspoons ground black pepper
    1½- teaspoons white pepper
    ¼- teaspoon ground cumin
    ½ - teaspoon ground red pepper
    Salt, to taste

Directions:
    Place all ingredients into a food processor and blend. If you use whole bay leaves blend until leaves are pulverized.
    Rub meat and cover with saran wrap.
    Marinate over night in fridge. Allow to come to room temperature and place in smoker or on grille.
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    I thought I wanted to make some of my own rubs once. Like many others, trying Dizzy Pig Rubs cured me of that folly. Here's a place to order good quality spices in bulk if you want.

http://www.penderys.com/
  • WessB
    Options
    That is where mine came from....I took his recipe and kinda backed off on the herbs and bumped up some of the other ingredients...like it is written by JJ came out a little to herby for my tastes...
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Here is a popular one for beef.

Rub, Montreal, Thirdeye

Salt, pepper and garlic are kind of the big three players in beef rubs. You could go with a milder peppercorns, like green ones. Maybe using salt, pepper & paprika instead of pepper. Or you might try Montreal steak rub variation with either less or no pepper. The other flavors are pretty good.

INGREDIENTS:
    3 Tbs Coriander seeds
    3 Tbs Black peppercorns
    4 Tbs Dried bell pepper (mix green & red bell pepper)
    2 Tbs Onion flakes
    2 Tbs Garlic flakes
    2 Tbs Sea salt
    1 Tbs Caraway seeds
    2 Tbs Dill seeds
    1 Tbs Dried thyme
    1 Tsp Dried lemon peel

Procedure:
    1 Combine all ingredients and grind in a coffee grinder.

Recipe Type
    Rub

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Thirdeye, 2007/04/16

2008/06/05----Lizard Dragger I googled it and it's got me drooling... The window of Schwartz's, a humble storefront cafe opened as a steak place in 1928 by Rumanian immigrant Reuben Schwartz, is filled smoked meat – piles of whole brick-red briskets packed with coarse, black spice. You'll likely have time to admire this meat, because the line waiting for a counter stool or chair at one of the communal tables in the 60-seat storefront nearly always stretches out the door. "Is your smoked meat corned beef or pastrami?" we asked our waiter. "Neither. It is smoked meat," he answered, explaining that Montreal's way with brisket is to cure it a week or more, smoke it several hours, then store it in a steam box packed with spice a few hours more. The result is a pillow of beef striated with fat and fragile enough that it must be expertly hand-cut with a knife because an automatic slicer would disintegrate it. Schwartz's counter men assemble each sandwich with meat piled up so high that the bread perched precariously atop one half invariably tumbles off as you seize the other half to eat. Smoked meat retains the soft flavor of brisket; and its exact nature depends on how you order it. Schwartz's offers lean (but warns against that as too dry), medium and fatty. Medium is juicy; fatty is insanely succulent. One thing that makes Schwartz's smoked meat sandwiches good is the bread. We have long stood on a soapbox complaining that even the best delis in New York have lowered their rye bread standards. The rye at Schwartz's is the old style with a leathery crust and muscular crumb (although, alas, seeded rye is not available). The thump of the automatic bread slicer cutting loaves sets the beat of a delicatessen melody, the libretto of which is never-ending chatter among exuberant customers.
  • Pork Butt Mike
    Options
    Here's a link to a couple of my rubs and recipes.

http://www.bbqcamper.com/%3Ccenter%3ERecipes%3Ccenter%3E.php

If you have any question just ask. You can use my forums if you like to ask any questons also.
  • Sundown
    Options
    There was huge battle w-a-y back about whether it was his or if he had lifted it from someone else. Caused a rift in the forum and a bunch of people got off and never came back.

I've made it up in small batches over the years and always have some on hand. But, as someone said why bother? Dizzy Pig is here now.

I just got a couple of bottles of the salt free DD and can't wait to try it.

Hey to Sally.

PS I seem to remember JJ passed away a few years ago.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Pretty much was over 1-1/2 teaspoons of rosemary, as I recall.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Sundown
    Options
    Yes. That was it. Forum seems to have recovered though.

Am I jaded or were the "old timers" a lot more inventive in their cooking? OR was I just impressionable in those days (1998-1999)?

Lord save me! I've been around this place for a decade?!
  • WessB
    Options
    I remember that all to well...