Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT-Need Advice...TB Rays

Boxerpapa
Boxerpapa Posts: 989
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Last February while in Reno, NV I made a $100 bet on the Tampa Bay Rays @ 80/1 to win the AL championship, not the World Series, in which would make a payout of $8100.00. Today, while at a BBQ, I was offered $1000.00 for the ticket. Three of my buddies told me to sell it, four said keep it. As off today, the Rays are three games in first place. One of the main reasons of the offer was the transaction that took place with the trade of Manny Ramirez to the Dodgers.

Going back about twenty years ago, I made a similiar bet with the Baltimore Orioles, although the payoff was a lot smaller ($2200.00), I was offered $500.00 at the Allstar break when they were twenty games in first place. Dummy me, I said no way Jose. Needless to say, the Orioles ended up losing the last game of the season to the Blue Jays and never made it to the playoffs and I lost the bet.

My question to you all is...should I, or should I not take the offer of $1000.00? If the Rays make the playoffs, I could hedge my bet and put down $2000.00 on the other AL teams and at least come out $2000.00 provided the Rays make the playoffs.

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    With my luck I would sell in a heart beat.

GG
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    image001.jpg

Now Boxerpapa, we will be jabbing all year. Let's have fun and do some good cooking.
    Mike
  • Buckethead
    Buckethead Posts: 285
    A $100 bet on a favored team would have been a much smaller payout. YOU bet $100 on a long shot in hopes of a large payout. Will you be diappointed if you sell off your longshot and you team comes in the money?
    You asked what would I do, RIDE THAT HORSE.
    Doug
  • Boxer, I'd hold that ticket. I can't imagine having to listen to the person you sold it to tell the story of how the ticket was purchased from you and...
  • Knauf
    Knauf Posts: 337
    As a Ray fan and Tampa resident I would like to offer my$.02. They have the horses to win the AL east but I really doubt anyone can beat the Angels this year. They are really strong.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    i'd take the 1000 dollars, as long as you are asking for opinions.

bird in the hand, and all that...

my father used to pull this little test on people. someone would pull out a brand new penny and he'd say "is that one of the NEW pennies? mind if i take a look at it.". he'd look at real quick and flip it over and say "i'll give you twenty dollars for it."

invariably the owner of the penny would say "what?! twenty dollars for a penny? why?"

he'd say "no reason, i just collect pennies, how about 50 bucks?"

he maintains to this day that he never was able to get someone to part with a penny. they valued it less until someone was interested in it, and then they panicked and held on looking for the bigger better payoff.

that ticket is worthless if the rays lose. right now it's a known thousand dollar ticket.

i know what i would do :whistle: (well, aside from not bothering to bet anyway...)
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    My opinion is walk away a winner. 10:1 is a terrific payout in my opinion. Even if they win the division, they still have the Angels to face....
  • Boxerpapa
    It was the liquor that wanted the ticket. Guess he wasn't interested after he woke up this morning. Oh well, at least my decision is made...Thanks for the input.
  • Boxerpapa
    You're just mad because the nice folks of Lincoln decided not put a roof on Memorial Stadium so God can watch his team win.
  • As a HUGE Sox fan and Yankee hater, one of those two teams will catch The Rays, I would take the grand and run, but for baseball I hope they win the AL East so MLB will have to build them a good stadium ;-( The Trop is the worst venue on the planet.