Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How long does it take a digital to read a temp??

Tim M
Tim M Posts: 2,410
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have heard many people say their thermometers take 10sec, 20sec, 40, 2 min to get an accurate reading. I have been guilty of it too. I was reading the text on the Thermopen site and came across this test to see how long it takes to read an accurate temp. I suppose you could do the same with boiling water - someone else can run that test to compare the two. I am awaiting delivery of my ThermoPen to compare it to my Old Polder "instant read" that took 30 seconds to get a 34° reading. Here is what I found on the Thermopen site:[p]Other digital thermometers found today in retail outlets use a very cheap sensor called a thermistor.
The only problem with that is they’re relatively slow, taking 20 to 30 seconds to read a complete temperature. Many are even advertised as “Instant Read” and some packages boast a 1 second response time. This is misleading. What they really mean is the display updates at once per second.You still have to wait until the sensor comes to the full temperature of the food you’re measuring. Because a thermistor is made from carbon and epoxy; and it requires a tube size of 1/8" diameter, it really takes 20 seconds or longer to reach the full temperature. If you already have one of these, you can test its true response time by immersing it in a cup of ice water (mostly ice with only enough water to fill the gaps between the ice) and checking how long it takes to reach 32°F. You’ll be surprised. Now you know how long your thermometer takes to read a temperature. [p]
Tim

[ul][li]ThermoPen[/ul]

Comments

• Tim M, I have a bright yellow Super model Thermapen coming (I took the advice about ease of finding in the dark) and will run a concurrent test with you. Let's see how fast those "Utahonians" can get it shipped. I'm hoping to use on baby backs this Sunday.

• Tim M
    kat,[p]YB asked me what color I was getting -- I must admit I didn't know they had anything but gray. I guess I'll get a gray one. I hope they shipped mine already, but everything takes longer to get here because all FedEx and UPS comes in on a single engine airplane from Raleigh. I am doing 3 racks of babys tonight and would like to have it today.[p]Tim
  • dublin
    dublin Posts: 140
    Tim M,
    Waiting on mine too.
    I wish I selected next day delivery, I have no patience.[p]BTW I ordered a blue one[p]Dublin

• dublin
    dublin Posts: 140
    Tim M,
    How much did your cost???
    Mine was $81 with shipping included
    But they only charged me a total of $75
    Is there a sale going on or is their website outdated??[p]Dublin

• Tim M,
    To help my $15 digital thermometer, I would lay it on my table with the tip touching the side of my BGE. That way it was already at about 120 before inserting it into the meat. So, it would then take about 5-10 seconds to get a good reading. If I did not do that then it would easily take 20-30 seconds to get a reading going from air temperature. The thermometer did not have to be turn on for the touching the side trick to work.[p]

• Mop
    Mop Posts: 496
    Tim M, have you ever givin any thought of maybe taking up a hobby, like advanced basket weaving or needlepoint?[p]Mop
    [/b]
  • Mop
    Tim M,color is very important yim!
    [/b]
  • Tim M
    Mop,[p]Those would be boring -- like reading a post from you. Don't you ever post anything that isn't inflamitory? [p]Tim
  • Mop
    Tim M, that isn`t WHAT????????[p]
    [/b]
  • Tim M,
    My Thermopen took 3-4 seconds from room temp to get down to 32 degrees. That's about the same as it takes to get 140-160 from room temp.
    B D

• Bamabob
    Bamabob Posts: 246
    Tim M,
    They are really nice probes.After I had mine almost a year the readings got way off.I contacted the Mfg.they faxed me a sheet telling how to recalibrate.Mine was still in warrenty but they said it was no problem to do,so I did. Gently pry up the label on the side,you'll see two tiny adj. screws,one for hot one for cold.Use boiling water and a cup of crushed ice and water to calibrate to,use a tiny slot screwdriver and BARELY!!! move screws to adjust.Mine is fine now.(ps) You might have to check hot and cold a few times to get adj. right. Hopefully no one else will need an adjustment,but if you do,hope this helps and saves you some cookin' time. Bob