Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Beer Can Chicken (part 3)

Iowa State Egger
Iowa State Egger Posts: 337
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Thanks for all your help. This cook would not have been possible without all of your help.

It was awesome. Two beer can chickens. They ended up at 350 for about one hour and forty five minutes. They "rested" for about a half an hour.

My parents-in-law came over for supper tonight, and they are somewhat picky (I can tell you that because my wife does not know about the forum). Both of them thought it was the juiciest chicken they have ever had.

Personally, I would like to spice it up a little more. However, since it was my first BCC I didn't want to go overboard. I can definitely see improvements coming down the line. Anyway, here are the pics:

Just getting ready to go on:

RawChicket-readytoGrill.jpg

After just short of two hours:

Cooked-Comingoff.jpg

Thanks to your help - in the tent for about a half an hour:

TentforChicken.jpg

Chicken that is cut up - this was really my first time of cutting up a whole chicken so the dark pieces didn't cut real well. The dark meat and wings ended up being "pulled":

CutupChicken.jpg

I know we are not supposed to have left overs - but this sure looks like one heck of a pulled chicken sandwich tomorrow!

LeftOvers.jpg

Again - thanks for all of your help!

Comments

• Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    You're like me with carving - one part Rachel Ray and 10 parts Texas Chainsaw Massacre. But the birds look super, ISE.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    You did well. Congrats.

Mike
  • Very nice, looks very taste.
  • Pyro
    Pyro Posts: 101
    Looks great! Beer can chicken has been one of my favorites for over ten years although I have yet to make it on an egg. BCC started, per the story, with Lone Star beer. As most of you know, this is not a great beer. Over the years people, including Cooks Illustrated, have tried it with European lagers, stout, red wine, etc. Nothing else has delivered the flavor of good old cheap-a.. American beer.
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Great job! I had to smile when I read about the "picky" eaters :) Did you eat all the skin? It sure looked nice in the almost-finished shot. What was left looks like it would make for some nice chicken salad.
  • Dirty1
    Dirty1 Posts: 42
    Did you brine the chickens? If you could give me any prep details I would appreciate it as I am thinking of doing these today.
  • I didn't brine, basically because I didn't decide to do the BCC until about 8 hours prior to cook. I really didn't do a lot of prep, but I spiced the chicken about 6 hours prior to the cook and put them in the fridge. I took out of the fridge about two hours prior to cook and spiced again.

I drank about 1/3 of each beer. I then put minced garlic and some butter into each beer can, and then they went up the butt.

Since it was my first attempt, I didn't want to have too many variables incase in flopped. Next time I will get more creative.