Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Vacume Sealer

Options
Grandpas Grub
Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
In the past I have purchased 3 different foodsaver. Went into the shed to dig one out and I can't find all the parts and of course it is old.

I stopped using the old ones because the bag material even in rolls was expensive. They claim they can be reused but after removing the food it just didn't look right to put in more food in the same bag.

Even making 2 or 3 seals one right after another didn't seem to hold in the long run. The seal would leak and freezer burn after a while.

I ended up buying food bags and a commercial package sealer. The heat element is 1/8" wide and it gave a great seal. This was good but no vacuum.

Took a look at the new foodsaver they claim new and improved.

I need to know what brand and model is best for the folks that are using the newer styles.

I appreciate the help.

GG

Comments

• gthom
    gthom Posts: 36
    Options
    I'm using the V2460 Foodsaver. Been pleased with it. I go deep sea fishing occasionally (my other hobby) and we always bring back a load of Tuna (from THE Tuna Mecca: Venice, LA). I haven't had any seals leak after going in the freezer (that I have found).

Sometimes its a little tough trying to do Gumbo and other liquids. The best thing to do with them is put them in freezer until it starts getting slushy, then bag, vacuum, and seal.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Thanks for the information. I understand the problem with liquids.

In the past I would take meat bag and seal. 3 or 4 months later frost and freezer burn.

We went deep seafishing and I hooked into a marlin. That was like draging a telephone pole into the boat.

In the afternoon I hooked into a small tuna, the boat captin said small. That was a great fight. I felt like I was going to pulled into the water.

Out here on one lake, if we can get a guide we can catch some pretty big fresh water trout. The record out of the lake is something like 61#. Another lake has some 20-30# striped bass. I never catch stuff that big.

I am pretty happy catching a 2 to 4 pound trout - that's the big side of it all.

GG
  • Chef in the Making
    Options
    I recently bought the new and improved foodsaver but I haven't taken it out of the box.
  • Stanley
    Stanley Posts: 623
    Options
    My Food Saver is old - the model is VAC 1075. I love it. The only seal failures I have had (1%?) have been my own fault for not getting a clean seal. As I mentioned on a previous thread, I totally freeze wet stuff before sealing and it works great.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    In the past I would be lucky to have 20% work. I even lost the seal on some block cheese.

Maybe it is just my luck in general (gaskets).

Kent
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Get that thing opened and use it.

GG