Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Back Ribs

Options
Stanley
Stanley Posts: 623
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Tomorrow I'm doing a big old rack of beef back ribs - my first attempt of these on the Egg. I've eaten good beef ribs before, but I've only attempted to cook them once - less than successful. That was long before my BGE and, of course, without the benefit of the thousands of years of experience available to me on this forum. I have confidence these will be good.

I'm planning on 3-1-1, indirect @ 250 dome, with apple juice spritz and in the foil (ala BENTE). Thinking of a liberal coating of Cow Lick. Should I use yellow mustard to help the rub stick? Sauce?

Comments

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Try 4-1-1. Here's some from a few weeks back and they were great.

101_2140.jpg

101_2142.jpg

101_2146.jpg
  • Stanley
    Stanley Posts: 623
    Options
    Important to cut into individual ribs?
  • Sun Devil Brett
    Options
    Those look really good, I've never done beef ribs only pork.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Not sure as thats how I bought them. did rub with mustard then raising the steaks and misted then foiled with apple juice. Did 2 with the 3-1-1 method for the wife and mine at 4-1-1 and these were a lot more tender but both were good. I would like to try a rack but think I would stick with the 4-1-1.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    It is going to depend on the ribs. I have less than good luck getting ribs like FlaPoolman. So it is just a concentrated effort. Remember to remove the membrane, so many people forget. I still go indirect, low temps to start and continue to up the temp.
    These probably didn't take 2 1/2 hours.

bfribs-1.jpg

Mike
  • Davekatz
    Davekatz Posts: 763
    Options
    273506901_jSevw-L.jpg

I do them at 225°F until the hit about 190°F internal (love my Thermopen) and then foil them for another hour.

Here's more details and pics: Beef Ribs

Dave
    Food & Fire - The carnivorous ramblings of a gluten-free grill geek.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Here is another way. I like to do them 6-7 hours low.

Beef, Ribs, Short, Richard Fl

Procedure:
    1 Just pulled 5#'s about an hour ago. Individual ribs about 2-3"s long..Covered with a rib rub, Garlic herb and black pepper. refrigerated overnight.
    2 Cranked up large 7 AM and started to do indirect at 250F for 6 hours. Threw a handful of pecan chips just before the ribs and let smoke away After 2 hours basted with orange juice and bbq sauce mix diluted w/water and did this every hour after 4 hours dropped temp to 200F. total cook time 6 1/2 hours. Dinner is calling sooon!! We like sweet flavor of orange juice and the sauce to serve is whatever the moods are!
    3 Forgot to add, the ribs were bone side down the first 4 hours. left membrane on this batch, too much hassle to remove. Also raised grid.

Preparation time: 1 hour
    Cooking time: 6 hours and 30 minutes
    Ready in: 7 hours and 30 minutes

Recipe Type
    Beef, Main Dish

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2007/05/20
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Stanley,

Let us know how yours turned out. My first try, I way over cooked them.

The second time came out very good but sure didn't look like what was posted above.

Kent
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    I did these just that way and they came out very good:

DSC00184.jpg
    DSC00189.jpg