Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

butt

Options
smoke
smoke Posts: 30
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
whats a good time and temp for a boston butt 5-7 lbs. should of cooked it over night, can you u cook for 6-7 hours and still be good

Comments

• Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    At 250, it will cook for about 2 hours/lb. You need to get it close to 180-185 and it will be good for sliced pork (ala Sonny's BBQ in Florida). If you want to pull it, you have to get at 200.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Plan on 1.5 to 2 hrs per pound.

You can do a high temp cook and it will turn out good. I did an 8# in 6 hours.

You can also do a low temp cook and after it has cleared the plateau foil and crank the temp up to finish the cook.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    For sliced pork I would cook to 145° internal and let it rest. Great moist pork.

GG
  • smoke
    smoke Posts: 30
    Options
    how how of a temp 350?
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    If you try the higher temps watch the butt internal temp and at some point in time you might want to tent with foil.

Foiling may soften the bark.

I did this cook last December. I just went back to see if I kept notes, but I couln't find anything.

I was told Bobby-Q cooked a butt at 600°.

I am thinkikng my cook was in the 400° but I just don't remember.

350° - 375° is a safe temp. You can always go higher if needed.

I will keep looking and post when I find my notes.

Here is some information thirdeye sent to me when I was doing these tests.

On your next test run, try resting at least 2 hours. Because of the high pit temps, I stay away from sugar based rubs, after pulling I will bump the pulled meat with some fresh rub before serving. I also defat the liquid from the foil and mix some of it into the pulled meat. Here is another tip, If you notice excess greasiness with this method, trim the surface fat close. At high temps the rendering process does not work as well as when using barbecuing temperatures.

Kent
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Finally I found it.

Here is the butt I cooked fast. I didn't record the dome thermnometer just used the grid temp.

The dome would probably have been 380° to 400°. I wouldn't matter much.

Put some rub on the butt and injected with apple juice and apple cider vinegar mix. I wish I had not put the cider in the injection as I have never done that before on the L&S cooks. I expect there will be a taste difference.

Times are times of the cook, not times of the day.

At 0:00 hours and egg stabilized at 370° grid.
    2:45 meat reached 167° pulled and foiled back to the egg. A lot of juice in the drip pan. Butt looks good with a nice dark bark.

3:17 butt reached 171°

3:46 - 181°

4:47 – 191°

5:21 – 192°

6:00 – 193/194° meat grid at 367° I am thinking the temp should be climbing faster at this level.

6:28 – 193°

7:00 - 193° decided to thermopen the meat – it was at 199 to 204°.

I pulled
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    OK, I will yield to your previous advice.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Gene,

No need to yield... Some folks like a higher done temp.

Before the egg I used to cook to 185° in my ex-gas water smoker until someone on the forum told me to try a cook at the lower temp.

I really liked the lower pull temp and think the pork is more tender and moist when pulling at 140° to 145°.

Some try the lower temp. If you don't like it you can always put it back on and continue cooking. If you do try it, ping me and let me know what you think - good or bad.

Kent
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    I was using experience from pulled prok, that I know needed more time. You advice of 145 seems a bit low, but the moisture makes sense.

I prefer pulled unless eating at Sonny's and then I'm OK with sliced.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    When you are cooking a butt one time. Pull it at 145° or even cut a slice out of it and taste it.

If you don't like it then take the rest up to 185°

I had the same thoughts when I tried it. I wouldn't go back now. It is every bit as good as pulled pork if not better. I like it both ways.

I have been playing with some port tenderloin. I let the first cook go to 180° or so. Way too long. It didn't even taste as good as butt at 145°.

Next week I will do it again and pull at 145°

Giove it a try.

GG
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    Thanks for posting that, GG. I've done butts at slightly elevated dome temps (275-300), but never that hot. It might come in handy one day when timing for low-n-slow just doesn't work out.