Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Dough Question

Options
JimS
JimS Posts: 78
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What types of premade pizza dough makes a good pizza? I have problem getting the dough I buy at publix into a coherent pizza.

Comments

• Meat
    Meat Posts: 233
    Options
    It may be cheating a bit but I like the Pillsbury Pizza dough in the same section as the refrigerated biscuits. It comes out of the can in a rectangle shape. I tend to leave it that way rather than try to make it round. FG
  • JimS
    Options
    thanks, will try that but can you shape it easily? The dough I have been getting is really hard to shape.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Stop by your local pizzeria and ask if you can buy some. it is a little pricey that way, but it is usually good dough.
  • JimS
    Options
    have done that before but for some reason here in Huntsville al they will not sell it. Mostly chain pizza places.
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Options
    I think RTD uses Mama Mary's. Not sure what others use. I like homemade. Sure they don't look as good as the perfectly round pizzas but they eat as good if not better IMO.

Pizza003.jpg

DSC_0008.jpg
  • Smokin Tiger
    Options
    If you like really thin crust like I do and can find 00 pizza flour, this is a great recipe:

http://www.fornobravo.com/PDF/Using-caputo-tipo00.pdf

I found some 00 pizza flour at the Dekalb Farmers market in Atlanta a few weeks back and have been using it.

I have also used the California Pizza kitchen dough recipe. We cook pizzas for the kids on most Friday nights. My wife usually makes the dough during the day and I cook. I let the kids top their own pizzas and they love it.

Good luck and let me know if you want the CPK dough recipe.

TC
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    If you let the Publix dough warm up for an hour or so it is very easy to use. It will go through a second rise if you let it. Just punch out all the bubbles before you shape it.

If you try to use it cold straight out of the fridge it it too springy and won't hold shape.

This was a whole ball of Publix dough:

HalfwayDone.small.jpg

FinishedPie2.small.jpg

This is a ball cut in half for thin crust:

CookingHamPineapple.jpg

DoneHamPineapple.jpg
  • Boatman
    Boatman Posts: 854
    Options
    Why not try your own dough? Here is a simple recipe:

No-Knead Pizza Dough

3 cups bread flour
    ½ tsp salt
    ½ tsp instant yeast
    1 cup luke warm water
    3 Tbs olive oil

Mix the dry ingredients together, add the water, then the olive oil. Shape into a ball and put into a bowl sprayed with olive oil. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise for 2 hours minimum. Roll out on a floured board and let rise for another ½ hour. Then spray the top of the dough with olive oil to prevent the toppings from seeping into the dough. Add toppings and bake in BGE for 12 minutes at 425 high up in the dome. Use platesetter, then woo ring, grid on top then the pizza stone.
  • OKCegger
    OKCegger Posts: 38
    Options
    Boy Rod, that looks great! Here it is 6:30 in the morning and I want Pizza! :woohoo:

Pat
    OKC
  • JimS
    Options
    Thanks mike, some very good looking pizza's there. Guess i will try the homemade dough.Was trying to see what most of forum used.
  • JimS
    Options
    Thanks for the link. don't know if i can find the flower here in huntsville or not.
  • JimS
    Options
    maybe i am not letting it warm long enough. I make 16" pizza's so i use the whole ball. I bought a 16" Primo pizza stone and use a 16" wire pan like the Pizza places use so not having any problem getting on or off ut having a hell of a time shaping it. Thanks for advice.
  • JimS
    Options
    Sounds simple enough even for me!. Thanks
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    If FamilyGuy is cheating with Pillsbury from the dairy case, I’m really in trouble with this suggestion!
    If I’m going to spring for a pre-made dough…I skip the dough part and go for the Boboli (sp?)….But talk about speed, convenience and a good crust! They do work very well in the Egg!
    OTOH, making your own isn’t all that hard.
    Here is a great recipe that is pretty easy and turns out every time.

Mom’s Pizza Dough
    Dad’s Kitchen
    (This is enough dough for two 12” thin crusts or one thick)

1 pk. Dry yeast
    1 C. warm (100 F.) water
    1 t. sugar
    1 t. salt
    2 T. olive oil
    2-1/2 C. flour (all purpose / un bleached)
    ½ C. additional flour for the knead

1)) Dissolve the yeast in the water and let stand for about 5 minutes.

2)) Add all the remaining ingredients and mix well with a spoon.

3)) In the bowl…Add small amounts of the “kneading” flour, punching in with your fist until the dough cleanly pulls away from the sides of the bowl. This will take, more or less, about ½ C.

4)) Using you hands sped / stretch the dough to the desired shape

And a tip: If you are using a new (not well seasoned) stone, rub in a few drops of olive oil before placing the dough.
  • ewillie
    ewillie Posts: 155
    Options
    A guy at work told me you can buy dough balls at Trader Joe's. He liked them. Anyone here tried them?
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Trader Joes dough is decent. Their pizza sauce in jar is VERY good.