Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re so close to Thanksgiving that we can taste it and we’re ready to help you prepare the most delicious Thanksgiving feast you’ve ever cooked! Check out our Turkey Cheat Sheet for turkey tips, our Thanksgiving page for turkey recipes, and our Holiday Entertaining Publication for all other Thanksgiving needs to help you make this the best Thanksgiving yet! PS. Don’t forget about breakfast Thanksgiving morning either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Spatchcock: Direct or Plate Setter

MountainEGGerMountainEGGer Posts: 66
edited 1:22AM in EggHead Forum
I think the subject says it all. What are your thoughts

• KlagKlag Posts: 208
    I do indirect with plate setter at 275 for about 1 hour 40 minutes fat/skin side up - then for last 10 minutes skin side down - direct.

Comes out perfect every time, juicy inside, crispy skin.

• PhilsGrillPhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    I've done both. With plate setter but favorite is raised direct.
  • Grandpas GrubGrandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    For me raised direct an I don't worry about a drip pan. The dome helps cook also, so no turning for me.

Often when cooking any chicken whole or spatchcok I will make a disposable serving tray (pan) and put potatoes, onion, sometimes italian sausage, and some type of green pepper (mild or hot or both) and let it sit directly under the chicken.

That is some good eatin.

I cook spatchcock at 400° for 45 minutes to an hour. It goes just as well at low temps.

• unfortunately I don't have anything to do a raised direct. This is my first cook on the egg and at the moment my options are direct or indirect.
  • MACMAC Posts: 442
    It just doesn't get any better than that. Good cookin'
  • Raised-direct. I flip to breast side down for the last 15 minutes or so.
  • Grandpas GrubGrandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    I would go indirect on the plate setter with a drip pan to protect the setter from the drippings.

Or direct with the lump just above the vent holes in the firebox. I am not sure how long of a cook you wouldl get at that level but it should be well over an hour.

You don't want any possibility of possible flame licking at or close to the meat. With lump fairly close to chicken heavy browning or burning is possible.

Even if the skin chars usually the meat is usually very moist and good tasting.