Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rain cap and temp. control

Trailblazer1229
Trailblazer1229 Posts: 69
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am firing up another butt tonight. When I cook at 250 the bottom vent is about 1/8 of an inch open and Ms, daisy is closed with only a small crack in some of the vent holes up top. I recently bought a 6" rain cap that I want to use because thunderstorms are predicted overnight and would not like the fire to go out. Has anyone had experience with raint caps affecting the dome temp because it resricts air flow a bit, but not a lot.

Comments

• I was smoking a butt last weekend and went to sleep after I had the temp regulated and my thermometer alarm woke me up at 3:00 am, and the temp had jumped to 288 degrees. It had started raining and I guess the wind had stirred the coals up enough to start a sudden rise in temp.
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    The rain cap will put your fire OUT...
  • The rain cap that you're saying will put out the fire, is that the ceramic one that comes with the egg? I believe Trailblazer is referring to one of those metal vent caps made for vents on a roof.
  • WessB
    YES...I was talking about the one that comes with the egg...and now that he mentioned it, it shouldn't be called a rain cap at all. :) ...if he meant a chimney cap then I was dead wrong, and have no experience using them...
  • Ahh, no.no.no. I am talking about an aluminum rain cap sold for very small chimneys and such, not the ceramic cap. Sorry, should have specified. This cap will fit over the daisy wheel. Looks like a mushroom.
  • I have no experience with one, but many have posted about using them and I don't recall anyone having to make vent/temp adjustments. At 250 so little air is going through the Egg I can't see it making a difference. Maybe it would at higher temps. Hopefully others will chime in. Good luck.
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    it was worth the $7 or $8 I paid for it. Mine fits right over the daisy top and works like a charm.
  • WessB
    Have seen it pictured in the past...a wonderful find on someones part....sorry for jumping to conclusions....I would set the daisy wheel the same as you normally do and then just slip the chimney cap over it...
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Rain cap has no effect at all on the temp.
  • I personally just set the ceramic rain cap on top of the daisy wheel. It leaves enough space for airflow, and I haven't had any problems with temperature. Just an idea for others ;)
  • With the little air flowing, I do not think it would be a problem. It works for me.

f0153fcf.jpg
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    I'm cheap and use a coffee can with holes around the outside top edge, it fits perfectly. It has no effect on temps below 450 or so. Would probably affect higher temps.
  • Klag
    Klag Posts: 208
    Here's another version. $8.00 at Home Depot, fits over the daisy wheel and has no effect on temperature control at all.

ki4enfa084.jpg
  • WADoug
    WADoug Posts: 191
    Looks like your are getting your answer. We don't get much rain in eastern WA, but I used a "rain cap" during an unusual downpour. It worked fine, temps held firm (225). But, I did try to increase the temp to cook more quickly because of the rain, and I couldn't seem to get it to get hotter. It was too wet and miserable to get a good eval, but I wondered if the "rain cap" impacts the typical temp control process.
  • Ar-Cee
    Ar-Cee Posts: 105
    With the rains in VA this year, I have been using a 7" Pagoda style cap 3 cooks out of a week, and one week, I used it every night. In answer to noticeing an airflow issue, yes, its SEEMS like my airflow is changed a bit. I have tried to evaluate it. With the Guru in place, there is no issue. Without the Guru: there is no definite issue with fire control, it just seems like I need a touch more open on the petals when the cap is in place and that the fire is a little less "responsive". On the other hand, it is downpouring rain and the humidity is 100% and the exterior ceramics are being "water cooled" with a sheet of water, so, I can't really decide what causes what. Things I know: The cook goes on, the fire stays lit, the egg holds it's temprature (if at a small increase in petal (these are generally sub 400f cooks). No real issues in the rain except that I get wet, and if you have to check progress (open the dome) bring an umbrella to cover it all. Just my 2 cents. rc