Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Red Snapper suggestions

Stanley
Stanley Posts: 623
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm going to Egg a small (1.5 lb) red snapper tonight. Here's what I'm thinking: couple sprigs of fresh rosemary, some sliced shallots and salt & pepper inside. Direct 450°, flipping once, to crisp up the skin. Pull the fish and get dome temp down to 350°. Return fish to internal temp of 140°.

I'm kind of making this up. Not sure how long the crisping should take per side. Anyway, suggestions welcome (that's why I'm here!).

Comments

• Eggeaux
    Eggeaux Posts: 4
    A little butta and some citrus (lemon, lime, or orange) juice not too much just to taste. the rest looks real good. I'm from Louisiana and snapper on the grill is a regular. Test the meat with a fork until flakey and enjoy the feast!!! :blink:
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    A little late to do this but mango goes great with snapper.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=455253&catid=1

Your way sounds great. Not sure as to fish temp. Just till it flakes.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Stanley,

CWM turned me onto Blackened. Good indeed. Just some DP seasoning and some EVOO and a hot skillet.

I didn't take pictures of the snapper but it turned out excelent and much the same look as below.

blackncatntroutplate.jpg

Cat fish is on the left side.

Kent
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    ditto the blackening...never tried it evoo..usually blacken in a really hot skillet with butter..will smoke like a freight train so be warned..if you have handy some cajun spices before blackening is real nice....
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    4-5-08004.jpg

Blackened Lemon Fish
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    I would sure like a bite of that.

GG
  • Stanley
    As it was a whole fish, I chose to grill it. I pretty much went with my plan. stuffed it with sliced shallots and a few sprigs of rosemary. Added some S&P and EVOO and tied it up with twine (probably not all that necessary, but made flipping a bit easier). Onto the oiled grid direct at 500° for 10 minutes maybe, then a flip. Put in my probe thermometer and shut draft and daisy almost down so the temp started dropping. It was around 380° dome when the probe hit 130°. It was delicious! Not totally pretty, as the skin stuck a bit. Maybe I should have used my aluminum grill topper. Mostly cosmetic, though, as the fish was great.

I know, no pictures. I've got to schedule my busy retiree's life better so I'll have time for photo journalism!
  • UnConundrum
    UnConundrum Posts: 536
    My wife loves whole fish, but that's one thing I just haven't mastered yet. Of course, it's hard to find whole fish around here, but I keep trying. I too would love to see pics and temperatures from anyone who has had great results. My dream is to come up with a fish like the Greek restaurants in Montreal (and I guess elsewhere). Moist, flakey.... mmmmm
  • Stanley
    This was plenty moist and flaky.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Stanley,

I like snapper in the carribean style. Cast iron dutch oven on the egg with an inch of oil. Cut slits in the fish and season. Couple of minutes each side in the hot oil and serve with scotch bonnet peppers and lime.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON