Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

GOT MY EGG!! + question

Options
MountainEGGer
MountainEGGer Posts: 66
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Finally got my egg today (through a very generous gift by my fiance's old teammates). Now I just need to do a cook to be all official (friday is going to be spatchcock chicken and ribs).

Question about tightening the rings...it stats 125 ft/lbs of torque...is this a reccomendation or should I obtain a torque wrench before I cook on it? If not a necessity, is there such a thing as overtightening?

Also, time/temp suggestions for st. louis or baby back ribs would be appreciated!!

Thanks for the great source of information and thanks for the post on the Brie earlier...I was going to ask that question and saw someone beat me to it.

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    If you snap the bolt you over tightened it. When the bolt bends you have achieved your goal..
  • mattm
    mattm Posts: 56
    Options
    yes you can overtighten a bolt and yes it will break. My dealer had mine put together so I did not have to assemble mine. But if I bought an egg and found out that I needed a torque wrench to put it together (and I did not happen to own one) I would be livid...its a grill for god sakes!!! I bet most people do not even own a torque wrench and to have to borrow or buy one to assemble a grill is ridiculous in my opinion.

I have put many things together that called for a torque wrench and I did not use one...just tighten a bit at a time till you get the desired effect. Invite a buddy over that has a torque wrench after you get a good recipe down and trade him food for the use of the torque wrench.

As for recipes, you can search this forum for many good ones or go to naked whiz dot com for a good start.
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    I guess I will tackle your rib question. I usually do st.louis cut ribs. I set the egg to 250-275. This ends up with the bottom draft open 1/4"-3/8" and the top closed with the daisy wheel rotated to the open position.

The ribs can cook a variety of ways and you will soon find your favorite. There is the 3-1-1 method. The middle one is a time to foil the ribs. I uaually just go about 5 hours on my ribs at the 250-260* mark. Times will adjust based on higher/lower temps.

Feel free to check out some of the links on the site. There are very specific step on a few of those pages.
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Get your bands set, have someone press down hard on the top center of the dome and tighten the bolts. Two finger tight (real two finger tight) is fine, no need for a torque wrench.
  • Slotmercenary
    Slotmercenary Posts: 1,071
    Options
    csn you clear up the meaning of "two finger tight?"
    i know my bands are a lot tighter then i could get with just two fingers..................
  • Eggscaper
    Eggscaper Posts: 213
    Options
    If you want to use a torque wrench you can usally go to an auto parts store and they have a loan a tool there. usally there is no charge for this. then you can feel comfortable about the right torque.

Doug
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    Like Wolf mine are tightned till I can just see them starting to bow. I have 3 torque wrenches and have never seen a spec on Egg bolts before! ;) Good to know. I fool with bolts threaded into alum. all the time and just turning till it bends goes against my grain but it works fine. Would not just bow'em up but Wolf should know! ;)
  • MountainEGGer
    Options
    Thank you for all the help. It looks like I will just tighten the heck out of it and start cooking. Ya'll are the best.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Make sure you check the alignment of the dome.

Good cookin.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    One hellava lot tighter.

GG
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Gotta have STRONG fingers...