Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Oh crapola/Momma wants pot roast.

Options
Darnoc
Darnoc Posts: 2,661
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
It is in the lower 90's today and guess what the better half wants? Guess the dutch oven and the high sear of the chuck roast has to be done today to keep some one happy. I told her this morning that this is a cold weather comfort food but through the years I have learned to keep my trap shut in such matters. It will come back to haunt you. We all want to be happy I guess but after cutting and trimming the grass this was not in my plans. You all have a great day.

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DSC03945a.jpg

Sounds like you need some cool ones on ice in the backyard and everyone will be happy.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Darnoc
    Options
    How the heck have you been? I thought of you when pot roast came to the fore front.I beat you to the punch on the cold ones.It is not lunch time in the Baltimore area and I have already had two bottles of Dogfish Head IPA 90 already.Have about two to three pounds of carrots,onion,taters,some red some Yukon gold,garlic etc. ready to rock for about three and a half hours (or till done) some newbies might ask why that long.C I knows.
  • Fireball II
    Fireball II Posts: 213
    Options
    ? direct or indirect, temp and about how long?
  • Darnoc
    Options
    Indirect at 325/340 for two hours then I flip the chuck and add taters that have been rubbed EVOO and salt and pepper.I will raise the temp to 350 degrees and let her go for two hours more.Should be fine at this point.Will post a photo after it is done.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Thirdeye, looks like you went raised direct. Is there not to much heat on the bottom of the aluminum pan, causing the meat to fry? Temp/duration?
    Thanks for your help!
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    No there is a platesetter, legs up, under there. If you look close you can see the legs. My Woo-style ring is homemade with smaller diameter rod than the standard ones, so it fits in there with the plate setter.

I do them like Darnoc, on the grill for a couple of hours, then into the pan (covered) with some broth to steam the finger potatoes.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Fireball II
    Fireball II Posts: 213
    Options
    Thanks for the info. JD