Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg food in the wild question?????

Nature Boy
Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
After decidig to bring that frozen vacuum-bag of ribs on my backpacking trip, I got to thinking. [p]If I cook a brisket, cool it, freeze it, and vacuum seal it, how long will it last at temps which will vary between 30 and 50?? If I keep it submerged in the mountain stream water, I expect it is 40-45 degrees. Maybe we can find some remaining snowdrifts?? But do y'all think it would be okay at those temps for a couple days??[p]Thanks in advance for your input.
Can you imagine chunk-o-chest AND ribs in the wilderness??[p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ

Comments

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Nature Boy:[p]I don't think it stands a chance . . . I bet the bears beat you to it if you leave it out of your sight!

• djm5x9, infact NB, take your camera. You should get some really good close-ups of bears tearing your pack off ya.

• Mary
    Mary Posts: 190
    Nature Boy,
    Always risky. It would be better to plan on eating it the first day. If it's in your pack, remember your body heat will also warm it. If you wrapped it in some insulation, it would help - maybe freeze some of your water supply and pack it around it and in one of those insulating packs. The sun beating down on dark colors adds a significant amount of warmth - acting like a black body and absorbs radiation. All these should be taken into account if you try this. I've never seen a white backpack, but such a thing would help to keep the contents cooler. Maybe you should bring along a max min thermometer to be sure what the temp it came up to was.[p]Mary

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Nature Boy,[p]What about cooking up a batch of beef jerkey? Don't know if you like it or not but to me, that would be awesome trail food. Would keep forever also.[p]Troy
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    sprinter,
    That is a great idea, but since I haven't done jerky before, I don't have the time to fuss with that. I think I'll just slap on a brisket tonight, and go with it. Mary had some great points. I think it is snowing up there now, so we should have some leftover snow to pack the meat in. We are only doing a short hike the first day, so the chunks of chunk-o-chest will still be frozen when we set up camp. And we will probably stay in the same spot 3 nights, and do day hikes. The ol' base camp technique.[p]Thanks
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Mary, great idea, and it leads right to another use for the Polder thermometer..He can do remote temperature checks by plugging in the little digi read out from time to time. :-)[p]
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Nature Boy,[p]Vacuum seal the frozen chest, put it in a bag with water to cover, and then freeze the bag.[p]When the ice is melted, the meat needs to be eaten (and you have a supply of fresh water).[p]Spin