Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bionic Spatchcock Bird

Options
Wardster
Wardster Posts: 1,006
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
It's been on for an hour and 45 minutes. Breast only reads 157. Good thing I checked it. I usually pull it off in the time alloted and it's always been done. This is my first time with the raised grid and doing it at 350 with no flip.
I'm really surprised at how long it's taken. Wondering if the breast was still a bit frozen. However, when I butterflied it, there was no sign of being frozen on the inside, plus it sat in the fridge for an hour or so after.
Thermometers are correct, I tried two of them. Must be one of those things....

Apollo Beach, FL

Comments

• Mop
    Mop Posts: 496
    Options
    Wardster, wow, that seems really long for a chicken thats been butterflied.
    Are you cooking it DIRECT on a raised grate at 350º?[p]Hey, are you sure its not a turkey you have there?[p]Mop
    [/b]
  • Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Mop,
    I hear ya... Direct at 350*, 400* for the first couple of minutes. Crazy. I pulled it at 179 and just wolfed down half the bird. I bit dry, and rightfully so according to the time it was cooking.
    I dunno. My first 10 birds were done the original way. 250* 20 min on one side, 25 on the other... perfect every time. I'm not sure I'm a fan of the new raised grid no flip method, but I'll continue to give it a shot. Either way, dam good chicken.

Apollo Beach, FL
  • nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Options
    Wardster,
    We always do ours with a raised grid, no flip, one hour at 350. It's always been juicy and cooked to perfection. Maybe you just had a stubborn old bird.[p]~nikki