Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wireless Themometer

skyhawk
skyhawk Posts: 12
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've tried a few wireless meat thermometers & haven't had very good luck with them. Anyone have a favorite that they like. Where can I order one online?

Thanks.

Comments

• Nate in SC
    Nate in SC Posts: 21
    I have been looking at this one from Amazon. I like that it has two meat probes and the price isn't too bad at $40:

http://www.amazon.com/Maverick-Remote-Check-Wireless-Thermometer-Probes/dp/B00004SZ10/ref=wl_it_dp?ie=UTF8&coliid=IZY9VR3VAR3ET&colid=2TWYBXGLIJ3UU

I was given one from Brookstone as a gift which works really well too. It is a little expensive though at $75 and you can probably get a better price elsewhere (like the one above).

If anyone else has used the Maverick remote thermometer I'd be interested in feedback too.
  • ArchDeluxe
    ArchDeluxe Posts: 31
    I just purchased the Maverick ET-73 and look forward to putting it to use tomorrow night for the first time. :cheer: I also got mine at amazon.com for $40.
  • Fireball II
    Fireball II Posts: 213
    I have a Redi Chek remote, a gift for from Christmas 2006 works fine. Pick up one from Wallie World not a remote (cord & probe set) so if I have on more than one meat.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    DO NOT GET THE ET-7!!!! IMHO

I will post one in a minute.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    This is another lesson I should have learned. When I asked the forum this exact question I was told get the Maverick ET-73. No again I didn't listen, I found the above deal on Amazon and for a much cheaper price I got the ET-7.

The ET-7 is OK but lost connection very easily and ate batteries like they are candy. The range of recption was not very good either. Oh yes, no alarms.

Sometimes the batteries would die in the middle of the cook. When it is below 0 outside that tends to upset a person.

Anyway, I finally found a bought the ET-73. Life has been bliss ever since. Works Great, I get reception where I need it. Batteries last for 3 or 4 months with the unit always on 24/7. Alarms work fine. One meat and one pit probe which is what we need. I haven't had a minutes problem or a complaint with it since I got it.

This is where I got mine, service was great.

Shoot - where I got it has now been taken over by another company, so it seems. The price is the same but I have no idea about the service. Here is the link for a good price on the ET-73.

http://search.store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/nsearch?follow-pro=1&vwcatalog=kitchenandcompany&catalog=kitchenandcompany&query=maverick et-73&x=14&y=12

GG
  • Nate in SC
    Thanks! I wasn't aware of the ET-73. I'll take a look at that one. Looks like a better deal.
  • ArchDeluxe
    ArchDeluxe Posts: 31
    That sounds like good news to me!
  • emilluca
    emilluca Posts: 673
    Well I have been using a wireless one I bought at WalMart for 14.99 for over a month and it is working great. In fact I bought two thinking I would need it as a backup and it may become a christmas gift to a lucky relative.
    E
  • Fireball II
    GG, I have a ET-72 looks just like the ET-7 does everthing that the ET-73 does except monitor the the temp at the grate. Same price for both buy the ET-73 same 39.99. See link below

http://search.store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/nsearch?unique=f6f14&catalog=kitchenandcompany
  • Fireball II
    E, I have one but it is not wireless it has a probe & cable that connects to the Thermometer that is out side the egg. JD
  • Davekatz
    Davekatz Posts: 763
    I'll second (or third, or fourth) the recommendations of the Maverick ET-73. I got one this spring and have bee very happy with it. Here's my review with some pics and more detail: Review: Maverick ET-73 Wireless Remote Smoker Thermometer

Dave
    Food & Fire - The carnivorous ramblings of a gluten-free grill geek.
  • belle's dad
    belle's dad Posts: 146
    I had real good luck with the Brookstone model, except,
    I couldn't keep it working for more than three or four months. I would take it back to Brookstone and they would give me a new one. I did this three or four times, and, finally gave up. I was too embarassed to keep returning them.

Gordon
    Vero Beach, FL
  • Nate in SC
    Yeah, I can understand. The only trouble I've had with the Brookstone is that if it sometimes loses sync with the remote probe but it is usually just for a few seconds. I have also noticed that you have to reset both the handset and remote unit if you change batteries because they cannot sync. My original one is still working but now that I've seen what you can get for around $40, it is not a good deal. I'm happy with it but will probably replace it with the ET-73 if/when it dies.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Didn't realize there was a '72'. I really need 2 probes and the alarms.

I should have listened to the forum with the recomendation of the '73'. At the time the '73' was $59 or so.

I also picked up 3- ET-901's off of Woot. Sold 1 to neighbor to use in his stove and still have 2 in th ebox. Couldn't pass up the deal.

GG
  • Fireball II
    GG the ET-73 is the one that has the two probes. Did you see the link I posted above? I even calle to find confrim that the ET-73 has two probes. JD
  • Grandpas Grub
    Yup, both of them. I didn't know there was a '72' - but one probe...

My ET-73 says Redi Chek on it. When I use the DigiQ2 I also use the 73 so I have a remote to view.

When I use the Stoker of course I don't need the remote as I am monitoring it on a remote device.

GG
  • deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    this is an older picture, but you should get the idea....

would that wireless thermometer work if i egged out back and i was asleep on the second floor in the front of the house. the big glass is commerical glass. the reason i ask is, i have a hard time getting my car to unlock via the remote unless i get pretty close to the window.

minijacobpics429gg6.jpg
  • Grandpas Grub
    Jason,

Interesting architecture. Nice!! How many levels and how much sq. ft.

It is hard to guess on that. I am thinking the photo is the back and the egg will be somewhere out there.

I live in a Rambler, 2 levels, one below ground and the main living area at ground level.

Our bedroom is in the front NE room. My eggs are two rooms and a hall away from the bedroom That is 3 inside rooms maybe 4 if it is going through a closet one being an outside wall. The eggs are close to the house.

I haven't had any problems what so ever. When I get soem time I will turn it on and check how far, through, the house and into the front yard I can get.

GURU has a more expensive remote contorller that, if I recall, will read an extremely long way from the base transmitter. I was looking at that before I ended up getting the Stoker.

GG
  • Fireball II
    Jason it may work but would not count on it. Could not see your pic so that is not much help. I live in a two story house and my bedroom is in the front the egg is in the back does not work that far. till I know what you want but it a goog value for $40 bucks. JD
  • deepsouth
    Grandpas Grub wrote:
    Jason,

Interesting architecture. Nice!! How many levels and how much sq. ft.

GG

thanks! the missus and i designed it ourselves. it's only two stories and about 2700 sq. ft. (before we take in the garage).

i egg right outside the garage door. the bedroom is on the right (looking at the picture on here) and upstairs.

i'm horrible at guessing the number of feet. there is actually only two load bearing walls in the whole house (on upstairs between the master bedroom and our sons room and one downstairs between the kitchen and dining room). the rest of the support comes from engineered ebams.

i'd guess about 60 feet maybe with one wall in between.
  • Grandpas Grub
    You and the wife did a nice job... I wouldn't have guessed that much sq' in the house from the picture.

I decided to test this out. It is about 50' guessing from my egg to my bed. Walls as explaned above.

Went for distance - through the entire house - Two outside walls and two inside walls. Front wall brick/rock.

To the center of the culdesac, guessing 150' then out to the next street 300' to 400' guessing.

With my ET-73 it would read anywhere in your house as far as distance. Not sure about walls.

Looking at your picture... dang it are those palm trees, anyway, the distance looked like it may be as far or further than the house on the right side of your house.

The batteries in mine are fairly new and I am not sure if the battery strength makes all that much of a difference.

With that said I think it was AZRP hates these things, poor reception and weak switches and other problems.

Just so you have two sides of all this.

GG
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    My buddy bought that Wal Mart $15 remote. Works perfect!
  • I have two off them and they work great.My two cents.
  • deepsouth
    GG

here is the front....

december2007071fb8.jpg

the bedroom is the room behind that fireplace. that small door upstairs is in a "hallway", but just off the stairs. the stairs are in where the large windows are.

sounds like for $40 i should give it a shot. at the very least, it will work downstairs for other than overnight cooks.

thanks for all that checking you did for me. i think it will work.

cheers.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Jason,

That is beautiful. Very nice indeed and thanks for taking the time to share the front photo.

There is no way of knowing but from what I can see and the distance we went with my '73' 'other than walls' or possible electrical interference, you would have absolutely no problem at all with the distance.

Shelagh, my wife, saw the picture and said lets move.

Kent
  • deepsouth
    thank you both. neither of us are in that type of field (architecture). i'm in insurance and real estate and the missus is in retail, but she has a knack for style and it took blood, sweat and a good many tears, but in the end was totally worth it.
  • Another good find. I'm probably gonna get one from Amazon, although they don't actually give the model number.