Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What a difference 25 degrees makes

Basselope
Basselope Posts: 102
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So yesterday AM I hit Sam's club for something to cook for last night. Found some boneless chuck roasts about 3" thick packed 2/ package. Package came out about 6.5 lbs.
Bought em, rubbed em, and put them on about noon. I had some bacon in the fridge so I covered the meat with strips of bacon for moisture. Set up indirect, rack over a drip pan with some beer in it. Started out about 210 and allowed the temp to creep to about 250.
At 5 I pulled one at 154* so we could eat. I left the other on. The first roast looked rare inside and was very flavorful, but the connective tissue was damn tough.
The second roast hung at a 154* plateau for about almost 5.5 hours! At 12:30 this morning I pulled it at 179*. I was gonna go to 185* and try the fork test, but I was getting REAL tired.
Anyway, the second roast is tender beyond belief. Thin sliced, add a little salt and a dash of Q sauce, it was out of this world.
One question though. I can't see a smoke ring on either piece of meat. When I put the rack on I added 3 pieces of oak and let it go. Why no smoke ring?

Comments

• Basselope,
    I have noticed that when I add bacon to the outside of beef it eliminated the smoke ring. I dunno if the smoke can't penetrate it or what, but I noticed the same thing you did, and narrowed it down to the bacon. Any other ideas?
    -Joel