Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Ribs

Options
Zeke
Zeke Posts: 90
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
beef-ribsa.jpg
<p />I did my first beef ribs today and they were great. Cooked at 230° using a rib rack, indirect, for 6 hours. The ribs were rubbed with Dizzy Pig Cow Lick Rub and sat in the refrigerator for about 13 hours prior to cooking. I used a piece of hickory and a small piece of apple wood to smoke. The ribs were moist and tender and smoked to perfection, for our tastes. Served up with a mess of turnip greens with a touch of Glory Hot Sauce and fiesta corn bread. [p]Did the meat pull off the bone? Well... Close but no cigar. Next time I cook beef ribs I'll smoke for an additional hour.

Comments

• Zeke, Those are some good looking ribs. I haven't had too much luck with beef ribs (haven't tried to make them too much either) but had a couple of questions for ya.[p]1. Did you sauce them dudes or is that the color just from smoking them?[p]2. Your pic shows them in foil. Did you use foil when you cooked them, and if so how long, times, etc.[p]Beers
    Matt.

• Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Options
    Zeke,
    One thing about beef ribs that makes finding the "done" temp" pretty easily is to use a polder. The meat is thick enough to allow one to be used; at 200, they're done. Yours look delicious.

• Zeke
    Options
    Marvin, Thanks. While the ribs were tender and moist and came easily off the bone, they were "not fall off the bone" tender. I'll use Mr. Polder next time and get the meat up to 185°. The ribs only had six hours on the BGE. As for the taste, they were very good to excellent. I was a happy camper and so was the lovely Ms. Zeke.

• Zeke
    Options
    South O,[p]I sauced the ribs every 15-20 minutes for the last hour. I use "U.B.The Judge" sauce because it does not have as much sugar as comapred to Sweet Baby Rays, etc. UBTJ sauce is less likey to burn.[p]The ribs were cooked 4 hours indicect, 1 hour in foil, and hour 6 was cooked on directly. [p]I've never had a beef rib that I didn't like except for those cooked in the oven. When I visit Fort Worth, I like to eat at Risckys Barbeque and the ribs I made tasted like Risckys. Glad I used a drip pan because it was full of fat drippings. The ribs were near perfect and I think more time on the BGE will only improve. Anyway, I'll eat my way to perfection If I must.