Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Blocking Gap Around Fire Ring - Caution

Grandpas Grub
Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Those of you who have decided to block the gap should beware high temp cooks will result in tempetures that will burn if one touches the outside of the egg from just below the bottom band to about 3 inches further down.

My dome was at 650° I touched the egg wall and received a burn on my finger. (Felt kind of like checking the gas tank level by using a match to see).

The burn hurt almost to the point where I wanted to go in and get some burn treatment, even if it was an ice cube or some butter.

The burn didn't get to the point of blistering but I think if one was not quick to remove their finger the burn could have been severe.

Be careful with your decisions on this topic.

===========

The blocking of the gap between the fire ring and inside diamater of the egg wall will increase performance and will somewhat help with higher overal temp.

I am not sure if it is an engineering design or not but the air gap provides some insulation factor for the outside of the egg.

During the medium test today I decided to measure the outside temp of the egg.

The temp at that point when measured later was about 425° 2 inches up from the top band the temp was 454°.

I have not taken any measurements at that dome temp without the space being blocked.

GG

Comments

• East Cobb Eggy
    East Cobb Eggy Posts: 1,162
    Thanks so much for the advice.

Greg
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    after all this talk about getting the small to temp, i opened it last night for the first time since the last week in June. Mold everywhere, old lump, ash from the previous cook... this past week, also, we had about 8 inches of rain, and some rain almost every day for the past four or five days.

i lit it with two of the twisted paper/oil things, and it rose steadily to 650 in maybe 15 minutes.

hmmm.

so much for my thinking it was old/damp lump that contributed to slow starts.

back to the cogitating board
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Thanks for the info. Obviously there is a reason for the air gap around the sides. Like I said earlier, pull the fire box all the way forward, push the fire ring all the way to the back.