Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Are you looking at my butt?

King-O-Coals
King-O-Coals Posts: 510
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
PLATAPORK.JPG
<p />This little piggy took it's sweet time. It took 27.5 hours before the internal would get to 200. I started this cook yesterday at 3pm. Took it off this evening at 6:30pm. The coals cooled to 125 this morning, but the butt maintained. I kept kicking it up a notch until the dome got to 350. This was a 9 pounder and I guess it just takes time to get it hot all the way into the middle. Well this picture ain't deceiving. This may have been my best butt yet. That's a salad with everything except the kitchen sink, spinach, whole wheat mini-biscuits, and a mighty nice pig. And yes,,,,, I ate the whole plate full. burrrrp!

Comments

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    King-O-Coals,[p]That is a picture of beauty! Excellent work! The best thing about that is I bet the taste was even better than the amazing presentation![p]Cornfed

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    King-O-Coals,
    Whoahh there! Nice job.
    I can bet money that I would need some sort of ramming device to get that plateful in my belly!! I have a couple of buddies that might be able to hang with you, but not me. That is some serious eatin there mister![p]That is how I like pulled pork...in big chunks.
    Wow. That is some groceries.[p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Dr. Chicken
    Dr. Chicken Posts: 620
    King-O-Coals,
    Nice lookin' butt! You really know how to eat! Mighty fine! Mighty fine![p]Dr. Chicken

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    King-O-Coals,[p]I printed the picture off and ate it, and gotta tell ya, even the picture tasted good. Awesome Butt KOC, thanks for the pics. I have a Brisket planned for the weekend upcoming and this has got me really psyched. Congrats. I guess you're done eating for the whole week now?][p]Troy
  • Nature Boy
    sprinter,
    How do you plan on seasoning and cooking that chunk-o-chest??
    Hearing of briskets going on eggs creates an overwhelming urge to join the fun.[p]You are in for a treat.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    King-O-Coals,
    That is a great looking meal.
    YB

• bdavidson
    bdavidson Posts: 411
    King-O-Coals,
    That's one nice looking butt! (Salad aint too bad either!)

• Dave
    Dave Posts: 163
    King-O-Coals,
    Totally awesome. I am tripping over myself to get started to cook and smoke like you pros!!

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Nature Boy,[p]Not 100% certain yet NB, still in the planning phase of this weekends cook. Any good ideas will be appreciated and I'll let you know what the final decision is.[p]Troy
  • Dave, I appreciate your appreciation. Pros? Ha! Just read our results as we stumble through the hallway of perfection. (Man this is a long hallway) We get lucky sometimes,, but we also have little setbacks too. Things like too much heat for too long,, indirect heat or direct heat,, too little heat,, fire goes out in the middle of the night during one of them 20 hour butt cooks.. This ain't no exact science,, but it's close enough for Government work. And the little setbacks are delicious too.. Jump on in :)

• sprinter, I was still full this morning. My dog's favorite thing for me to cook is Boston Butt. She just loves the big blade bone and the fat trimmings. She was also still full this morning. She wouldn't even get up and come greet me. She just sat on her bed mat and smiled. I think tonight I will have leftover ribs. Tomorrow night,, delux pulled pork samies.

• Rather than trying to comment to each of you,, let me say thanks for the kind words you guys offered. This was one of those "successes" that makes one feel like a pro, that Dave refered to. The last three butts I cooked,, my wife always said "it's good,, but your first one was the best". After yesterday,, she calls me SIR.

• Nature Boy
    sprinter,
    The meat itself has a lot of flavor. If you don't go with a marinade, a mustard slater is very nice. Put the rub on pretty thick. Elder's cumin/chili powder rub goes nicely, but be creative. Mustard makes for a nice "bark" crust. [p]You know all the other stuff I suppose, most importantly giving it plenty of time (allow 2.75 hours pound). If it is done early, it can be wrapped in foil, and put in a warm cooler...and still be steaming hot after 3 hours.[p]I am doing one tomorrow for the camping trip. 250 dome, indirect over water/beer.[p]Have fun!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com