Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ping - AZRP re:Flap/Ugly Steaks

Grandpas Grub
Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The entire day so far has been spend calling and searching for Ugly (Flap) Steaks.

I have finally resorted to coming back home and printing the picture you put up.

One butcher said they have them and they are $9. Is that about what you paid?

Some of the cutters out here said they are really flat iron steaks, which if I recall your original post you said the flap was not the flat iron.

I also said the cut is somewhat close to the tri-tip and was told if the tri-tip is turned over the bottom is the flap. I was not to confident in that statement either.

Wondering if you or anyone has any further description of this cut of meat and what it is selling for in your area.

Thanks in advance for your help, Kent

Comments

• Desert Filly
    Desert Filly Posts: 1,042
    Hey Kent....I guess I really started something on this "Ugly" steak. IT is NOT a flat iron,nor a tri tip. We paid $8.79/lb. Each steak was no bigger than the size of your hand...diameter and thickness. Maybe ask your butchers for the piece of meat the cut up for fajitas.
    Hope this helps.
    Kim
  • Grandpas Grub
    Thanks Kim,

I finally found a full service butcher (well Shelagh did actually).

She was told it is a skirt steak, from the previous posts I don't think that is what you are refering to.

Anyway, that is what she picked up and what we will trying when she gets back. I will take some pictures when she gets here.

The bonus of today's searching was we found a great place to get some good size chuck's, nice briskets, corned beef and babyback all kinds of sausage's. But the odd thing is they do not have spare ribs - really odd to me.

The quest for the ugly steak is still on out this way...

Kent
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    This was my first introduction to skirt steaks nearly 8 years ago...
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=17336&catid=1
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Thanks for the link.

I am still wondering if the flap is the same as skirt but I didn't think so.

In the thread reply's, sort of funny in a way, one said they paid $2 / lb. now 8 years later - times change.

Kent
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Kent, a flap steak is not the same as a skirt steak, I've made plenty of skirt steaks. The butcher said it is cut from the carcass near the tri-tip. If you found a butcher that said it is a skirt steak, find another butcher. Max posted an article about the cut in a previous thread. I'll see if I can find it. -RP
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    yea - times change - Kenny G is no longer with us, Nature Boy was giving away his rub recipes free, and the other responders are gawd knows where. I was cutting my teeth back then in 2000. I'm so glad I've kept recipes that I printed out over the years since back then you never knew what would be archived or get flamed and killed forever!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Randy & Kim,

Interesting evening cook. Burn't my ebebrows & hair looking down the top vent of my medium doing another test. Shelagh was laughing here butt off at me (that always works well) and asked me when I wanted her to order pizza. I said 'real funny' remember your birthday isn't too far away.

Then on one of the skirt steaks I used a recommended seasoning. Couln't eat the steak, it was like eating straight salt. Tossed away the seasoning along with that piece of meat.

Glad I used trusty old DP on the other steak. Shows me to not stray too far from the recomendations of the forum.

The thing I noticed about the skirt steak was it didn't have the marbeling that your picture had.

The DP steak was good and flavorful but there are plenty of other cuts I would rather have at $9 a pound. I am sure glad I didn't invite anyone over to dinner. The other steak was pretty good but again I think rib-eye, serloin, or T-Bone would have beed better.

I finally had to take my lumps, the wife won and she ordered pizza.

I'll redeem my honor on Sunday's dinner.

Monday I will do some more searching for full service butchers. I am a bit surprised as there seem to be very few full service butchers out here - that I can find anyway.

Here are the pictures of what we picked up.

flapsteak1.jpg

flapsteak2.jpg

Anyway still searching.

Thanks, Kent
  • jamiemeyer
    jamiemeyer Posts: 97
    GG,

Sorry to hear that Pizza Hut was the winner.

That second pic, with the cross grain marbeling, looks very yummy. What wa the problem with that one?

Perhaps it was the unlucky recipient of the salt. Too bad!
  • Grandpas Grub
    We tried scraping off the seasoning, still too much salt. Then we cut the 'sear' off still a bit salty. Texture was good and pretty good flavor.

I would like to find and test the real thing though.

$9 a pound just seemes too much for that cut of meat.

GG