Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Gasket

Options
Ashman
Ashman Posts: 375
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Got it removed and cleaned. How do you get the new gasket to lay down without puckering up as you apply.

Gordon

Comments

• DynaGreaseball
    DynaGreaseball Posts: 1,409
    Options
    I've only installed one old gray felt gasket, and it stretched just a bit on the outter edge, without puckering as I went around. Are you using the new one? The Nomex one? I've got the new one on order...hope it's not too rigid.
  • Ashman
    Options
    Yes I have the nomex gasket from the mothership. Trying to apply a staight line to a roumd surface is a problem. Surely I am not the first to encounter this?

G
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    Uh oh. Lemme know how you do it. Seems like it's GOT to stretch some.

Good luck.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Skip the foreplay and it'll soften right up. Just kidding, Installed a new gasket (factory not nomex) today and as long as you don't stretch it it lays down fine. Sounds odd but it works. Just do a few inches at a time.
  • Ashman
    Options
    I am all for preperation, but I may not have a handle on this one. As I try to string the gasket, nomex, around it puckers on the inside formining folds int the gasket. This is on a XL, I can't imagine what it is like on a small.

G
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    I have some Nomex here and it feels pretty stiff to me. I had the same question as to it not folding when applying.

Someone had a picture of the Nomex installed. The egg was masked really good and they used spray 3m adhesive. If I recall the gasket didn't look puckered.

Whoever, knows of that picture or has a link it would be nice to see it again and to see if there was a pucker problem. (humm, that sounds a bit odd).

GG
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    This may be the photo you mentioned. Don't worry about the pucker. The gasket is a little wider than the lip. Keep the gasket flush with the ID as you work it around and don't stretch it.

101_2459640x480.jpg

Mask off the area if you use the 3M 77.

I actually installed my gasket twice. Used 3M 77 adhesive both times. The first time was in addition to the adhesive backing that comes with the gasket and the second time without. If I were doing it again I would not put the spray adhesive with the adhesive that comes with the gasket - I would try it without it and do some seasoning cooks with the new gasket.

My new gasket came off on the first cook which was 36 hours after I installed the gasket. The photo below shows the adhesive (not th gasket - the gasket had already fallen off) peeling away from the rim. I peeled off all of the original adhesive that came on the gasket and reinstalled with just the 3M 77 and it has worked fine since then - I'm over the moon with it.

101_2478640x480.jpg

101_2474640x480.jpg

Make sure you get your bands up against the shoulder when you put the big brusiser back together. They tended to want to slip on me while I was tightening the bands up - clamps helped hold it until the bands were tight.

101_2462640x480.jpg
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    Frank, I'll soon get my new Nomex gasket, and based on your recommendation--and other's, I'm going to use the 3M 77 adhesive without the adhesive strip that comes with the new gasket. Question...Are they attached together when they arrive, and if so, is it difficult to separate them? It'll be trial and error figuring out how to get the gasket to go around my medium egg smoothly without puckering. Seems impossible unless something stretches (or compresses) somewhere. Guess I'll find out.

Thanks for the advice. I'll post about the puckering if anybody wants it. (That does sound a little strange, doesn't it?)
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Frank,

You the man... that is the picture.

I got my Nomex late last winter when it was below freezing and so far have not installed. Mine has the adhesive strip on the Nomex.

I 'think' I read a post saying that the new nomex being shipped did not have the adhesive strip. It would be nice if some of the newer Nomex recipients would jump in and let us know about he adhesive being there or not. Also, if there are any special installation instructions with the newer Nomex shipments.

Just a side note regarding the gasket material. I was one of the folks who got hot under the collar about a new gasket/adhesive failing. Three gasket replacements, on 2 eggs later I am not in the camp of 'it really doesn't matter what the gasket looks like as long as the egg will hold lower temps'.

Kent