Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

brisket cooking...question

Options
MeatosBanditos
MeatosBanditos Posts: 259
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I put a 10.5lb whole brisket on the egg this morning at 1:45AM (cold, right from the fridge). I have a DigiQ II so I know the temp has been at 235 consistently, now its in ramp down mode.

My question is should the meat already be at 184 degrees? I will check at 190 degrees to see if other spots are done as well. It just seems really fast to me. It's been on nearly 9 hours, I suppose it could be fine, just not comfortable with the speed. My goal is to eat this for dinner tonight, I know I can probably put it in foil and the cooler for quite a few hours, but now I'm looking at potentially having to re-heat it.

The brisket I cooked last weekend was a pound more, but took 12.5 hours to cook. I was hoping for a good 11 hours out of this guy.

Any thoughts? Comments and advice is certainly welcome.

Before I forget, the one thing different about my setup this time is that I placed my plate setter under the fire ring as opposed to on top of it like I had done previously. I have an XL and had read that people say to put the platesetter between the firebox and fire ring. To me this seems really weird since the stone is on top of the lump basically. Whatever, it's had no problem keeping temp.

Thanks,
John

Comments

• fiver29
    fiver29 Posts: 628
    Options
    I'm not sure setup should matter. There are so many factors that influence the cook. Outside temp, pressure, etc. Sometimes it cooks fast, sometimes slow, sometimes at regular speed. I have stopped trying to guess when it will finish. I have been the same way. But after a few fast cooks and a few slow cooks.... and they all turn out great!..... I've given up trying to figure it out.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Strongsville, Ohio

Yes.  I own a blue egg!  Call Atlanta if you don't believe me!
    [I put this here so everyone knows when I put pictures up with a blue egg in it]

• civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    Options
    I would move the meat thermometer once when it gets about 185 to verify and pull. You also may be sitting in the plateau which can go on for hours. Good luck, you will be greatly rewarded.
  • UnConundrum
    UnConundrum Posts: 536
    Options
    Quality of meat will affect the cook too... Try a wagyu brisket some time... really goes fast :)
  • MeatosBanditos
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. It's reached 190 and I repositioned the thermometer and it read the same elsewhere...good to go I guess!

I'm sure it will taste great, the last one was phenomenal!