Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Jalapeno Recall?

Options
Jeeves
Jeeves Posts: 461
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok, from what a grocery said, FDA issued ALL jalapenos (except cooked or pickled) be pulled, I have two options for what I happened to purchase before they pulled them..

1. Cook em (won't ABTs @ 350 kill Salmonella?)
2. Return them and wait - I could do Serranos?

Thoughts?

TIA,
-Jeeves

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    The last I heard was Jalapenos from Mexico...

A few years ago there was a salmonella scare out here. It ended up being a tomatoes from a specific Taco Bell.
    342 people infected, 3 died and many in hospital.

I guess it depends on how big of a risk taker you are.

GG
  • Grillmama
    Grillmama Posts: 194
    Options
    I bought 1.5 lbs on Monday, which I believe was the day they recalled them. I didn't hear about it until the 10 o'clock news. We cooked abt's that night and another batch yesterday and we are still here to talk about it. Nobody got sick in our household. I bought them from Walmart.

I say if you cook them you should be o.k. I cooked the abt's both batches for about 50 min to an hour at 325 to 350 indirect.

Good luck..... :cheer:
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    no offense grill mama, but it takes 8 to 48 hours for the symptoms to show up..check back in a couple days ;) ..as for cooking temps..not sure what kills salmonella..suggest you google it and get some good reputable information on the subject...
  • TNmike
    TNmike Posts: 643
    Options
    Any updates? last I heard was "one" pepper in Texas. Last week it was the maters? TNmike
  • Grillmama
    Options
    I will check back in in 48 hours.... :)
  • WileECoyote
    WileECoyote Posts: 516
    Options
    Made some ABTs a week ago with 15 large jalapenos from Walmart. Ate them all in 24 hours and was fine. Made another batch of 20 large jalapenos last night, also right from Walmart 1 day before the announcement. Ate them last night and today with no issues. Made some more with peppers grown locally. Ate them. No issue.

Cooking the jalapenos does kill salmonella and cooked jalapenos were not included in the recall, however consumers are advised NOT to wash, peel or cook raw jalapenos or serranos to try to get rid of any possible salmonella contamination because doing so is not likely to be effective and, instead, might spread the salmonella to hands, sinks, cutting boards, knives, etc.

So I am going to wash down my sink, cutting board, counter, and utensils with a bleach-based cleaner but I am not worried. With only 1,300 cases confirmed in the entire US this gives you a 0.000426653478654484% chance of becoming gravely ill. That is a pretty small chance, roughly 426 people out of 1 million. Let the ABTs roll!
  • Slotmercenary
    Slotmercenary Posts: 1,071
    Options
    i prefer mine with a little salmonella cause then they taste like chicken................
  • Grillmama
    Options