Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Spreading the love this Valentine’s Day with your EGG? Virginia Willis’ three course menu is perfect for a date night! February is also National Chocolate Lover’s Month, so don’t feel guilty if you’ve been cooking a little more dessert than usual on your EGG. If you’re looking for something a little more savory than chocolate, try some Roasted Chicken Flatbread or Pork Tenderloin with Honey Mustard.

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the History of the EGG Museum and the Culinary Center too!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

how long before the lump is burning clean?

deepsouthdeepsouth Posts: 1,788
edited 9:17AM in EggHead Forum
i've read about this in several threads and i still don't have a handle on the amount of time.

obviously, i know it depends on the amount of lump, but are there some visual signs i should look for?

thanks in advance.

Comments

• East Cobb EggyEast Cobb Eggy Posts: 1,162
    In my experience is usually takes about 20 mins.

Greg
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 18,457
    i usually just wait til the dark or yellow, or white smoke subsides. it turns a transluscent blue color almost invisable. wet limp and or fresh lump takes longer
  • emillucaemilluca Posts: 673
    Just a Freudian slip "wet limp"? Sure made be laugh sorry.
  • thirdeyethirdeye Posts: 7,428
    DSC05386JPGxx.jpg

Here is a good visual.....I plan on an hour, it sometimes takes less than that if you have built a hot fire or have some used lump in there.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • I always allow myself 30 minutes when planning, and don't expect it to take a minute over 20 (but sometimes it does).

There is a great section here about smoke and when it's right and when it's not.
    http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2004/02/introduction-to-barbecuing.html
  • Great minds think alike, but you posted yours quicker!

I think that link is an excellent source of info. I'm surprised that I don't see it being posted everytime a newbie posts looking for help.
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 18,457
    something you wont see as much doing the search is that with very long low and slows the smoke doesnt need to be as clean as with other cooks. ill get the meat on the grill in 10 to 15 minutes of lighting the egg with those cooks, butts, briskets, even ribs
  • When you're talking about the smoke burning clean are you referring to the lump or to wood chips/chunks? Sorry if this is a dumb question but after doing some research I think I'm more confused.
  • deepsouthdeepsouth Posts: 1,788
    Dawg Gone Egghead wrote:
    When you're talking about the smoke burning clean are you referring to the lump or to wood chips/chunks? Sorry if this is a dumb question but after doing some research I think I'm more confused.

i'm talking about lump.

interested in wood chips as well.
  • it depends on what your target temp is. a 500 degree fire will burn clean faster than a 250 degree fire.

for a 250 low-n-slow, you want to wait for the smoke to turn blue, then add your chips on top and wait for them to settle a bit. dense white and yellow smoke is not good

goodbadanduglysmoke.jpg
  • JeevesJeeves Posts: 461
    HA - my ringtone is from The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly!

:laugh:
    He is speaking about the lump.

The smoke that you get from smoking woods is the smoke that you want.

Greg
    You probably want to use wood chunks rather than chips.

You can get chunks or mesquite or hickory at BBQ Galore.

Here is a link that was given to me for a more wide variety of chunks.

http://www.charcoalstore.com/c4500/Wood-Chunks

Greg
    Rick, great pics for explaining this.

Greg
  • it's called 'the sweet blue' and it's easily obtainable with the egg. go to a bbq comp sometime and watch all the dense white smoke coming out of the big catering rigs. ---> oversmoked

eddieclassicII-032.jpg
    Rick's Tropical Delight wrote:
    it's called 'the sweet blue' and it's easily obtainable with the egg. go to a bbq comp sometime and watch all the dense white smoke coming out of the big catering rigs. ---> oversmoked

eddieclassicII-032.jpg

thanks for the info to all. and rick , thanks for the pics. a great help. and your setup.... drool.....
  • thanks, mon!
    it's all about temperature control... once you learn that, you are good to go

that first setup was on the road, here's the home base island

foureggs-058.jpg
    Rick's Tropical Delight wrote:
    thanks, mon!
    it's all about temperature control... once you learn that, you are good to go

that first setup was on the road, here's the home base island

foureggs-058.jpg

fu....... party at rick's house.

sweet. and i don't even see your mine!

that's an eggstra special eggstrodinary setup dude.

i'm jelly.