Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

What's your fav ABT recipe?

JeevesJeeves Posts: 461
edited 8:04PM in EggHead Forum
Curious as I'm FINALLY doing ABTs... I see all the versatile recipes out there....

Just curious what ya'll favorites ones may be...
·

Comments

• HitchHitch Posts: 402
    Tried and true - Cream cheese and Lil' Smokies. We like to dice up the lil' smokies and mix them into the softened (not melted) cream cheese. Keep a little bit of the seeds in on at least a few of them. If you want almost no heat, devein/deseed/and wash throughly before stuffing. Some would say to wear gloves when working with Jalapenos. Cheap thin bacon for the wrap. 2 toothpicks...

Have fun...they are a blast!
    ·
  • StanleyStanley Posts: 623
    I've only done them once, but they were killer. I used Neufchatel (much like cream cheese) and Mexican-style pork chorizo. Removed the sausage from the casing and fried it up in ABT-sized chunks - let them cool. Pressed the chorizo nuggets into the cheese loaded boats. Sprinkled with Dizzy Dust before and after wrapping in apple-smoked bacon. 400° high in the dome on a grid extender over a drip pan - about 45 min.
    ·
  • GatorEggGatorEgg Posts: 36
    I'm with you on those Lil'Smokies. They're the best and easy to prepare.
    ·
  • East Cobb EggyEast Cobb Eggy Posts: 1,162
    Are you able to find jalapenos for this?

Greg
    ·
  • opodopod Posts: 41
    i've been doing them with cream cheese, a little fresh garlic mixed in, a slice of country ham and of course the cheap/thin bacon wrap. Also, for my wife who hates hot stuff, i've put them on small poblano peppers--just enough for a touch of spice without being too "hot."
    klk
    ·
  • Big Easy EggBig Easy Egg Posts: 191
    I like using pickled jalapenos with different combos of a local smoked sausage or andouille, shrimp, smoked greuyer, cream cheese, smoked gouda. Name you can put it on.

Jimmy
    Come visit NOLA
    ·
  • My only recommendation is to forgo the toothpicks. I LOVE those little suckers.

Meat
    ·
  • vidalia1vidalia1 Posts: 7,091
    2 Favorites

1. cream cheese mixed with paul Newman's mango salsa..stuff the jalapenos and put pulled pork or l'il
    smokey on top and wrap in bacon...indirect with a drip pan at 375 for 30-40 minutes

2. Leftover cheese grits stuffed in the jalapeno with a small piece of country ham or L'il smokey wrapped in bacon...cooked the same way as above... :P
    ·
  • GunnarGunnar Posts: 2,010
    Your second suggestion sounds great. It could be the side at breaskfast with a couple of eggs and toast. I'm liking this one....
    ·
  • vidalia1vidalia1 Posts: 7,091
    Yep we did the cheese grits ABT's for bkfast while camping...it really gets your day started right...
    ·
  • JeevesJeeves Posts: 461
    No problem in Austin - there are more sources than McAllen/Agricola.
    ·
  • JeevesJeeves Posts: 461
    I stand corrected... They recalled them ALL OVER, so the ones I have are in question...

I'll start another thread
    ·
  • I mix cream cheese and jalapeno jack cheese (chopped up) and stuff 'em with that ..then the bacon on the outside...I prefer Oscar Meyer ...just seems to get crispier. ...then .. a little sprinkle of any one of a number of rubs (lately I've bene using the Lotta Bull brand) and my guests always go wild !!
    Fred A. Bernardo , owner of Tasty Licks BBQ Supply in Shillington, Pa. 
    ·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,320
    Jeeves,

Haven't seen you for a while. Everything good? My abt's are ricotta, thyme, Monterrey Jack, pulled pork or chorizo. Slit them from bottom to stem and wrap with thin, streched bacon. A little beer and chipoltle sauce and thats it.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • TNmikeTNmike Posts: 643
    No japalo's available here!! Now that local tomato's are available it has changed to japalo's. I think the source of this new outbreak must be Charmin'. Please use caution. :unsure: TNmike
    ·
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 516
    Ground sirloin browned in a skillet with your choice of taco seasoning, Mrs. Dash Extra Spicy, or Mrs. Dash Chipotle. Stuff the jalapenos with the beef, add a stick of hot pepper smoked cheese on top, wrap with bacon, smoke with mesquite at 250-300 for 90 minutes. Pure heaven, plain and simple.
    ·
  • ILL--EGGERILL--EGGER Posts: 478
    First year I've ever decided to grow my own and boy am I glad i did. Already picked 8 of em' lastnight and will clean and stuff them today. Find a local farm market or start asking around and I bet you find plenty of locally grown for sale. Just a thought.
    ·