Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Small question

Options
nikkig
nikkig Posts: 514
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We are adding to the family tomorrow and getting a small. Do they have the metal grate in the bottom, and do they come with the new thermometers? I want to make sure I get all the new features, and not an egg that's been sitting in inventory for awhile. Thanks![p]~nikki

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    nikkig,
    Mine did not come with a steel grate..and I honestly cant remember about the thermometer....your gonna love owning a small, when cooking for just 2 I almost never use the large and a bag of lump goes a lot further..[p]Wess

• Gator1
    Options
    nikkig,
    I don't know if the new smalls come with the new grate or if they are trying to seel off the old inventory first. I do know that any broken ceramic grates are replaced with metal.[p]Eggs do not come with the thermometer. Often the thermometers are part of a package put together by the distributor. Just make sure you check the thermometer you buy (It will be packaged sep[arately) and make sure it is the improved type.
    Jim

• nikkig
    Options
    WessB,
    Hi Wess! Normally I normally cook for 5, so the large will still get lots of attention. We just wanted something smaller for sides, and when we just wanna cook a couple of burgers or hotdogs. Hope you and Sally are doing well.[p]~nikki

• nikkig
    Options
    gator1,
    Thanks for the info, the quote I have says...standard band, thermometer, stainless steel draft door, and duel function damper top. I will be sure and check the thermometer, I definately want the new one.

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    nikkig,[p]We just got our new small last week...it did not come with the metal grate, but did come with the thermometer, daisy top, standard band, cookbook, video and I asked if they would match another distributor's offer of a free 20# bag of lump, and they did. I've done beer-can chicken, hamburgers, smoked sausage, and roasted red and sweet potatoes on it so far. It holds a temperature like rock and I sure do LOVE it...can't wait to take it camping! [p]I also ordered a second 13" grid from BGE's ATlanta store for indirect cooking and I found a small roasting rack at Bed, Bath and Beyond that fits just right. A 9 or 10 inch cake pan or pie plate works for a drip pan. [p]And, WOW, the amount of lump I'm using has diminished incredibly...! Each time I use it I think, boy that's not much lump, and then I go out the next morning, and there's still a bunch of it left in the firebox.[p]I just can't say enough about how happy I am with it....![p]QBabe[p]BTW, there was a lot of talk about warranty cards a while back...I asked my distributor about a card, since I didn't find one in the egg when I got it home. He said that he puts my info in his computer and that's how they track warranty info. But, later, when I was flipping through the cookbook, I found the card and sent it in anyway. Don't really know what to think about that whole discussion, but it was interesting that the dealer didn't even know the card was in the cookbook.[p]
  • nikkig
    Options
    QBabe,
    Thanks for the info. I didn't even think about an extra grate for raised cooking. I will get one of those ordered too. I never use the v-rack in my large, so I'm not going to worry about one for the small. I just use the extra flat grate on top of the drip pan.[p]I found my warranty card for my large by mistake. Everyone has always said never go by what the cookbook says for cooking, so I didn't even picked it up for almost a month. Saw the warranty card in there, and noticed it had to be sent in in so many days (10 I think). I called BGE and they said I could still send it in. When our firebox cracked the first time, my dealer ordered a new one for us no questions asked. Now it's cracked again, I think I'll just not even worry about it.[p]~nikki

• Julie
    Julie Posts: 133
    Options
    nikkig,
    All eggs include the band, stainless steel draft doors, temperature gauges, daisy wheels, cookbook, and video to the dealer. Sad to say, some dealers charge their customers for these things. As a dealer myself, I choose to add a bag of charcoal and a box of fire starters. The dealers do have metal grates available to them in small, medium, & large.
    Happy grilling.
    Julie

• Steve-O
    Steve-O Posts: 302
    Options
    nikkig,
    I bought our small in early August from the BGE store in Atlanta. It has the newer stainless bottom vent and came with the new steel charcoal grate. If your dealers distributor had to order your small from Atlanta, chances are that yours will come with both of these features. If, however, it is one that has been sitting in inventory for awhile, it will likely have a ceramic grate and may even have the older black metal lower vent. Either way, you're still going to love it!